Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automate creation of surfaces from feature lines

Automate creation of surfaces from feature lines

A tool that automatically creates surfaces from feature lines, by adding them as break lines and outer boundaries as well as inheriting the feature line name and layer.

That would help the below workflow for a Landscape Architect:

• Divide site into individual landscape plots, using feature lines with unique names and styles to set the landscape type (grass, planting etc).
  • Get elevations for feature lines from proposed ground surface.
  • Create a surface for each feature line that inherits unique name and layer
  • Use ExportSurfacetoSolid tool to give a topsoil depth
  • Export solids to Navisworks (and potentially surfaces if linked to database)
  • Create schedule for all plot areas by exporting feature line object data, and supplementing with formula to calculate seed mixes. The greater the automation between feature lines, surfaces and solids in this workflow the better (intelligent named solids would be great).

On a project with 500+ individual plot areas any automation would save a lot of time.

3 Comments
troma
Mentor

You say you already have a proposed surface.

Why don't you just make a new surface, paste in your proposed surface and add a boundary for the area you need?

J_Wheats
Contributor

I have 500+ unique plots so to create a surface of each will take time, whichever method is used.

Reason for above workflow is to use Feature lines so that I can give each plot a unique name, get a value for area, and by applying a feature line style i can specify the landscape type (grass, planting, etc). This allows me to create an automated schedule by exporting those properties.

I want to create a surface for each plot so that I can create a solid to view in Navisworks and when the solid is selected, ideally see fields from the schedule displayed in the properties box.

Status changed to: Archived

Due to a low strategic fit, technical feasibility, or the support of your peers, ideas with this status are not being considered for implementation at this time. Thank you for your contribution, every idea has merit. We always encourage you to rework and resubmit these ideas based on feedback received.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Sr. Product Manager

Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report