Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xref vs Non Xref layers in layer manager

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
juliacarroll5102
657 Views, 6 Replies

Xref vs Non Xref layers in layer manager

in civil3d 2021, the layer properties manager displays non-xref layers in black (normal) font, but the xref layers it defaults to display them grayed out. this makes for fairly difficult viewing. is there anyway to make the layer properties manager display all font in black so that it is easier legible?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

XFADECTL = 0-90

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
tcorey
in reply to: juliacarroll5102

XDWGFADECTL. Set to 0 for no fading, up to as high as 90 for extreme fading.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 4 of 7

The system variable know as XDWGFAEDCTL will control the intersity of your xrefs in modelspace. A lower number will make the xref darker or more intense (value=0) whereas a higher number will make the xref fade and appear lighter (value=90).

Image-1.Image-1.

Based on your opening post, I don't think fading an xref is what you're after. You want to know how to change the color of the layer description in the Layer Properties Manager, where the Xref layers have gray font and the normal layers have white font.

Image-2.Image-2.

Unfortunately there's no documented way to make the layer descriptions white. Your only alternative is to change the font height for your operating system, i.e. Windows.  (I don't believe you can change font color.)

From Windows 10=>Go to Start=>Setting Icon (Looks like a gear)=>Ease of Access=>Make Text Bigger slider.

Image-3.Image-3.

Chicagolooper
Message 5 of 7

I believe its all part of the colors in the "Color theme"   Try choosing the other one and see it is works better for you.

image.png

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 6 of 7
Jeew-m
in reply to: juliacarroll5102

You cannot edit the layer names in the xref because that is coming from another drawing. Only the name is grayed out.

In the left of layer manager you can filter Xref Layers and Non Xref layers for easy viewing.

Jeewana Meegahage
Design Engineer
Autodesk Civil 3D Tutorials
Facebook | YouTube | LinkedIn

Message 7 of 7

Based on what I have seen, there is no way to do what you are asking.  Making the font bigger might make it easier to read, but could also have other consequences elsewhere in Windows.  Personally I think that if you use the Dark theme it is easier to read than the light theme, but it is still greyed out and not black.  I'd recommend submitting it as feedback here: 

https://www.autodesk.com/company/contact-us/product-feedback

Christopher T. Cowgill, P.E.

AutoCAD Certified Professional
Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2022 on Windows 10

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report