Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where are the icons for Civil 3D commands?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
AllenJessup
2925 Views, 6 Replies

Where are the icons for Civil 3D commands?

I created some tool pallets years ago. They contain mostly Civil 3D commands grouped the way I want. Usually when I upgrade the release the new icons would populate the toolpalettes (except for some custom ones that I can re-path from the server). In 2020 the icons are blank. Even when I know the name of the image. I can't find it on my computer. So I assume it's stored somewhere in the program itself.

However with the basic AutoCAD icons. They have updated automatically.

The only way I have found to get the newer icons on the palettes is to drag them from the CUI and recreate the command. Then delete the original. That's time consuming and since I've customized some of them a little. I also have to make sure to examine each before I erase them and edit the new one if necessary.

Is there any way to get images for these icons? Or a better way to handle this? I have six rather full tabs that I'd like not to have to got through one by one.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

It is not that the icons are in a different location, it is just that the icon names for a lot of civil 3d commands were changed for 2020.

I have found is that 2019 and prior had the same image names for most commands for the small and large images, but with 2020 the image names have been changes to have separate names for the small and large images. This causes the images to not be found, so you get a ribbon full of question marks.

E.G. - In 2019 the Create SampleLine command had "SECTION_SAMPLE_LINES_CREATE" as the icon name for the small and large icons. In 2020 the Create SampleLine command the small image name is "SECTION_SAMPLE_LINES_CREATE_16" and the large image name is "SECTION_SAMPLE_LINES_CREATE_32"

I am not sure how to bulk change the icons - I am still in the process of working with the 2020 ribbon due to the time it is taking to recreate the custom layout we use. Normally it is matter of bringing in the custom tabs and panels but the change in icon names has resulted in the need to rebuild each panel. 😞

If there was a list of icon name changes between versions then you could export the palettes and do a search and replace in the exported file. 

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 3 of 7

It's not the name changes that bother me. It's that I don't have them available as images to specify on my Toolpalettes. The Folder "C:\Users\JessupA\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\C3D 2020\enu\Support\Icons" is empty.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 7

OK. I've found that the icons are stored in "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2020\C3D\UserDataCache\Support\Civil.dll". I can use 7-zip to extract the file and add a .TIF extension. They can also be exported as BMPs from the CUI.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
AllenJessup
in reply to: AllenJessup

A little update. I've found that when I specify an image from the Toolpalette. The program saves the TIF file in  C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\C3D 2020\enu\Support\ToolPalette\Palettes\Images  as PNG file. These files often have the same name as the TIF files. But sometimes I get a name like  Command tool_6FD26DB5-1A32-4A8D-8BB2-BD9434784402.png.

I tried saving all the TIFs I extracted from the DLL as PNGs in that folder to see if the program would pick them up. But that didn't work. So I'm back to replacing them one at a time and having them dumped in that folder. It doesn't seem like a very efficient way to operate. 

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
djschwarz
in reply to: AllenJessup

I had a similar issue when installing 2020.  I found that the file that it was looking for in my case was the C3d.dll file in the AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\C3D 2020\enu\Support folder.  I had a customized menu set up in 2018 that I had copied in to this folder and renamed it to the C3D.cuix.  I renamed the 2020 C3D. dll to c3d orig.dll and copied the same file from 2018 into the 2020 folder.  You may also have to copy the C3D Light.dll file also if you are using the lighter menu option.  My icons are not clouded ?'s any more.  Don't know if this is the absolute correct way to solve it, but it worked for me.

Doug

Message 7 of 7

ALL CIVIL ICONS ARE GONE IN MY ATUODESK CIVIL 3D 2020.

See image attached.

IN my CUI almost every single icon whose "SOURCE" is "CIVIL" is missing!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report