Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHEN IS AUTODESK GOING TO FIX ALL THE BUGS ?????

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
peter.fierek
1203 Views, 20 Replies

WHEN IS AUTODESK GOING TO FIX ALL THE BUGS ?????

Hi everyone,

I just need to get it off my chest.

I started working with C3D 2020, like with other new version my hope is Autodesk fixed the common bugs, but NO the bugs are still here.

So my question to Autodesk, when are you going to fix all these annoying bugs? I am working with AutoCAD since 1995 and I can't believe that in 2021 we are still faced with crashes occurring while using simple commands such as: pan, zoom, polyline, dist, etc. don't get me started with corridors - it's a nightmare. And it's not just me, it's all users here and in my previous jobs. C3D is so sensitive, it could learn heaps from other software packages that don't crash on hourly basis.

A simple example which doesn't make sense. I opened a drawing which had a title block and an xref, nothing else - no lines no additional annotations, absolutely nothing. So I changed the revision, ran audit and purge, and all good. Then out of the blue it crashed, after recovering the drawing accumulated 20 errors - from what?

Thank you for listening. Have a good crash less day 🙂

Regards

Not a happy user

Labels (1)
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
rl_jackson
in reply to: peter.fierek

I won't say that I don't get crashes, I don't think there's anyone here who can say that, definitively. But not often. Could you have hardware that isn't sufficient, was the drawing with 20 errors, started in C3D, is it a older file?

Here's one thing I do when going to a new version,  and maybe it will make your world a little better. I always create a new template for each version (don't use the NCS dwt). So I create a blank dwt and import my styles settings, blocks , layers, description keys etc.... via either the Import Styles, Design Center and/or Drag&Drop.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 21
Anonymous

Have you run -purge, regapps on your template to get rid of any unused apps that may have accidentally been saved from an architect/HVAC/etc?

Nancy

Message 4 of 21
peter.fierek
in reply to: rl_jackson

Hi rl_jackson,
thank you for your reply, no I haven't tried that and not sure if our Digital Engineering leaders did.
We are a big organization and templates are loaded from the cloud server.
Sometimes I start off with a blank template and copy over our standard blocks, but if the blocks are saved in older versions then I can imagine I am copying over the errors too.
Cheers
Peter
Message 5 of 21
peter.fierek
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi neaton,
thank you for your reply.
I -audit , -purge (a) and -purge (r) each time before saving my dwgs.
Another thing we think might cause problems is the network, we think C3D is communicating with the license server all the time so if the network glitches C3D gets confused and freezes. We observed a high usage in antivirus and antimalware CPU usage when C3D sends or receives data. Our IT department is looking in ways to excluded Autodesk extensions from the scanning processes.
Cheers
Peter
Message 6 of 21
rl_jackson

That, is a big issue. You must be running C3D basically as a power user, full admin rights - even at server level. Massive issues will disappear.

I realize your a large organization, but something I do even for my small one that works well in make sure that all support files are local to the user. No searching on the network... Plot Styles everything... with a lots of users this can be set up via batch copy/update, and standard profile setups by CAD/IT Management.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 21
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: rl_jackson

I concur Rick

For years I wasted time setting up common search paths to network location thinking I was doing the correct IT thing. 

I switched to OOTB local and have seen a vast improvement

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 8 of 21
Joe-Bouza

Do you have Sheet set manager running? I only say because if the default refresh is set and all your users are paging out the the server the pipe line gets pretty busy.

The 20 errors after crashing in a simple file is not really astonishing When you recover a file all it does is sort through the drawing database.  when you crash actions and commands get interrupted and don't close out properly leaving the database with incorrect, unfinished lines. those line are the errors that are being fixed .

That my caveman IT knowledge of it.

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 9 of 21
peter.fierek
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Hi Joseph,
what is OOTB?

Cheers
Peter
Message 10 of 21
peter.fierek
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Hi Joe,
we don't use the sheetset manager here in our office., not many use it in our organisation.Cheers
Peter
Message 11 of 21
peter.fierek

Hi everyone,
thank you for all your help so far, to add few things to our problem, we experience the following: C3D 2020 won't create or save bak files, also I have this dwg here which I saved last night and this morning I can open it as read only. I know no one else is using it because otherwise it would show me the initial of that user. To top it up, C3D 2018 opened up without the ribbon which tells me my profile or cuix file got corrupted.

Regards

Peter

Message 12 of 21
ChrisRS

OOTB = Out Of The Box.

Christopher Stevens

EESignature

Message 13 of 21
ChrisRS

OOTB = Out of The Box.

The suggestion is to store files on the local computer, at whatever location C3D defaults to.

If these are "standards," managing/synchronizing them on multiple computers is an IT task to be handled outside of AutoCAD/C3D.

This does not seem logical to me, but it may be a best practice.

Autodesk is investing a lot in interoperability and BIM 360 (that may not be the latest name.)

This commitment/investment may encourage/force the C3D team to make C3D "play nice in the cloud."

This could result in some collateral benefit to non-cloud users, such as resolution of some of these long standing issues. 

I am hopeful, but do not recommend that you hold your breath. 

Christopher Stevens

EESignature

Message 14 of 21
pendean

If you have to run AUDIT/PURGE to fix a problem, your issue is your DWG files. Might be time to let an intern at the company run RECOVER/RECOVERALL commands on all files and xrefs for a day.

C3D 2020 has updates that are required: do you have them all? Prove it, post a screenshot of your ABOUT command.

Also post a screenshot of your GRAPHICSCONFIG command pop-up: you appear to also be describing a video card/driver that may be inadequate (regardless of what make/model you have).

FYI no one here is Autodesk: only fellow end users like you with jobs are here to help each other out. If you want Autodesk Support then log into your Autodesk Account Page, find the ? icon, and start a support ticket.

TIA

Message 15 of 21
peter.fierek
in reply to: ChrisRS

Hi Chris,
We do storing files on our local laptops from time to time when working on large files and copying them over onto the server in the evenings for safety. But sometimes it's a hassle when working with xrefs and data shortcuts, because of path references.
BIM360 is only used on large scale projects here, but little projects can be as bad as big ones.

Cheers
Peter
Message 16 of 21
peter.fierek
in reply to: pendean

I always open my dwgs with the recovery/recoverall command, too often I opened dwgs which were audited and purged the night before and in the following morning they had errors.
We have no control over updates, we don't have admin rights. The IT puts them in the Software center from time to time. We are going to have a regional CADD representative soon to whom we can report requests and issues.
GRAPHICSCONFIG, I sometimes turn it off because C3D won't represent curves properly, especially with long radii, they appear staggered. Also here we have no input on the hardware, the desktop PCs were scrapped and we all received a laptop, I am running C3D 2018 & C3D2020 with the following specs;
HP ZBook 15 G5, 32.00 GB, i7-8850H CPU @ 2.60GHz, no dedicated GPU.
Thank you.
Cheers
Peter
Message 17 of 21
pendean

>>>...We do storing files on our local laptops from time to time when working on large files and copying them over onto the server in the evenings for safety...<<<
Very unusual: are you each "an island" working remotely with no collaboration and no need for centralized file locations? Or is this an IT solution for another problem/situation not apparent to those over here?

>>>... I sometimes turn it off because...<<<
Well, that explains a few more of your reported issues. That's not something you toggle on/off all the time, it is worth fixing/addressing as a problem with your IT folks. ZBooks are fine devices IMHO, but no dedicated GPU is sad and another contributor to your IT inflicted issues.

>>>...We have no control over updates...<<<
>>>...we don't have admin rights...<<<
In that case your problem reporting and posts like you started need to go the your IT folks, not this forum. They sort of set you all up to fail IMHO.

Well Peter, looks to me a total outside that your IT set you folks up to hiccup often, there is nothing for Autodesk to fix with non-current C3D2020, the topic of your post here.

Good luck.
Message 18 of 21
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: pendean

Hi Dean

I concur with the advice.

maybe you know something on this. Why doesn't the file open command simply include the recover / audit scans?

Over the years I regularly use recover just to open files. Id say all the time but sometimes I don't but I do tend to think in that order; to open with recover

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 19 of 21

@peter.fierek wrote:

<<I opened a drawing which had a title block and an xref, nothing else - no lines no additional annotations, absolutely nothing. So I changed the revision, ran audit and purge, and all good. Then out of the blue it crashed, after recovering the drawing accumulated 20 errors - from what?>>

That might be your trojan horse. I be more worried about the xref and template than with AutoCAD. Templates and xrefs are living entities. They can grow, be edited and get corrupted. If it appears innocuous it might actually be the most damaging. Cynicism has its place.

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 20 of 21
wfberry

Joe uses these high tech phrases all the time.

OOTB

Out of the Box.

Bill

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report