Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What’s new in Civil 3D 2025?

27 REPLIES 27
Message 10 of 28
lim.wendy
5689 Views, 27 Replies

What’s new in Civil 3D 2025?

The all-new Civil 3D 2025 is here, packed with innovations to boost productivity. Click this link to see what's new!

For more detailed information, please see the Civil 3D release notes for technical documentation.

Wendy Lim

Data Nerd | Community Advocate | AEC Industry

facebook twitter twitter blogs pm

Join the new online Rail Community

Customer Value Hub

Labels (2)
27 REPLIES 27
Message 1 of 28
cwr001
in reply to: lim.wendy

I'm always excited about the yearly release of the new main version but man, this year seems particularly lackluster.
This are the release notes.
Here's a video. 

The dynamo-stuff is great and I believe that Autodesk is really headed in the right direction with Dynamo but as far as Civil3d is concerned, here are the new features:

- We get the ability to set level of detail for each surface individually.

- We can create corridors from multiple baselines (something that was already added in the late 2024-versions).

- A new graphical interface for "MAPCSASSIGN".

- Performance improvements (they are great of course).

That's it.

There's so litte stuff added, that they had to inflate the "What's new"-section with stuff like this:

- Improved the efficiency when clicking OK to close the dialog box.
- Improved efficiency when switching corridor property dialog box tabs. 

I'm really going to enjoy the .35 seconds I'm gaining!

Once again, the public roadmap proofed to be arbitrary (things that were on the "in progress"-tab are still there) and the ideas-section is just a forum to waste time and get some hopes up.

If you compare it to the Revit release notes you can see the difference. New, actual features that might really help the engineer.

Message 2 of 28
Valentin-WSP
in reply to: cwr001

@cwr001 ,

ValentinWSP_0-1712061183149.png

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Emilio Valentin
Message 3 of 28
rgrainer

I remain underwhelmed.

Thanks for the post/review.

"Once again, the public roadmap proofed to be arbitrary (things that were on the "in progress"-tab are still there) and the ideas-section is just a forum to waste time and get some hopes up."

truer words right there. ^^^

This forum is the only place to publicly state one's real opinion, whether they (adsk) read it or not. At least others who stumble across comments like these know that they are not the only ones who have negative views about this product and it's lack of substantial progress and lack-luster so-called upgrades and all those lingering laundry list of unaddressed bugs that people have been complaining about for years. 

Like you wrote, I also eagerly await the new releases, and I'm still gonna test drive it soon and see if I'm whelmed or not.

Message 4 of 28
tcorey

The days of massive new features are probably over but there are still improvements coming out. w that Autodesk releases the .x updates withing yearly versions, the new release doesn't wait for new features. They were on 2024.3 or 2023.2.

Corridor Transitions are great if you need to model roads with driveways and turnouts. Grading Optimization continues to advance, however glacial that progress might seem. Project Explorer. That's not nothing.

AutoCAD 2025 now has connection to ESRI maps in addition to Bing Maps. They look much nicer, at least the few I compared. I'm not sure if that will be in Civil 3D 2025; I hope so. Anyway, that's an improvement. 

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 5 of 28
HEBC3D

I don't think you fully understand the undertaking of upgrading .Net versions, adding a ton of features in the initial release would likely lead to a ton of issues and take much more time performing QA.

"- We can create corridors from multiple baselines (something that was already added in the late 2024-versions)."

This was added to 2024 because of it's addition in 2025, they've done this for several versions where they backtrack and add new features from newer versions.

"I'm really going to enjoy the .35 seconds I'm gaining!"

I think you're just pretty pessimistic in general, I'm not sure why you're complaining about basic QOL updates. The 'efficiency' does not just mean the amount of time it takes to click something either.

"Once again, the public roadmap proofed to be arbitrary (things that were on the "in progress"-tab are still there) and the ideas-section is just a forum to waste time and get some hopes up."

No, it isn't. They have been updating it and simply haven't moved the cards within the roadmap yet. A lot of those cards on there also come from the ideas forum, posting to the ideas forum doesn't immediately mean your idea is viable or applicable to the general population of users either.

"If you compare it to the Revit release notes you can see the difference. New, actual features that might really help the engineer."

This just illustrates that you don't know the fundamental differences between the softwares and environments. Revit is not built on AutoCAD as C3D is. I'm also fairly certain the the civil infrastructure team works on more than just C3D.

Go take a look back at the past 4 years of C3D releases and let me know how many of them have a ton of new features in the XXXX.0 release. (hint: they don't).

As Tcorey said, they do bigger feature releases in the XXXX.1,.2 versions and have been.

@rgrainer wrote:

This forum is the only place to publicly state one's real opinion, whether they (adsk) read it or not. At least others who stumble across comments like these know that they are not the only ones who have negative views about this product and it's lack of substantial progress and lack-luster so-called upgrades and all those lingering laundry list of unaddressed bugs that people have been complaining about for years. 

This isn't the only place to publicly state your real opinion, not sure where you're getting that from. It's funny to watch you guys complain like this but you don't put any effort into actually reporting these bugs or participate in the background. Upgrading to .Net8 is a bigger upgrade than you understand and allows for product development to progress rather than be stagnant.

Join the Autodesk Feedback Community. Post things there and participate in weekly webinars.

Message 6 of 28
neilyj666

I'm downloading and installing the 2025 offering now......

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 7 of 28
neilyj666
in reply to: tcorey

As Civil is built on AutoCAD, I'd hope that the ESRI maps will be available although I did download and install vanilla AutoCAD 2025 last week and the images didn't look as good as the Bing imagery

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 28
cody.faltin
in reply to: neilyj666

I just looked and I don't see it as being available.  Where do you see it?

Message 9 of 28
cody.faltin
in reply to: cody.faltin

Never mind, I can see it if I go to create a custom deployment.
Message 11 of 28
ctbailey-ccsnh

We've had the ability to add multiple baselines in Corridors for years.
Message 12 of 28
ctbailey-ccsnh

Thank you Wendy.

We keep the lab machines up to the latest release version, but the school freezes the machines in August, so we don't get any updates after August.   😞

Message 13 of 28
neilyj666
in reply to: ctbailey-ccsnh

True but this allows them to be added at the start of the creation process and assign assemblies etc before building the corridor

EESignature

Message 14 of 28
snoyola
in reply to: tcorey

Hi @tcorey 

I hope this help

Simon Noyola 

Home - DDSCAD

Message 15 of 28
Cadguru42

You're correct. Autodesk has spent all the tens of millions of dollars they get yearly from C3D on adding things that no one was asking for. Meanwhile, the survey aspect of C3D hasn't had anything new or improved in ~17 years except for the survey query function. No fixes for the dialogs that don't let you even pan/zoom while opened, no improved UI for processing survey data. Still can't make a plain ACAD table/MTEXT object read C3D data even though it's the #1 requested feature that Autodesk claims is implemented when it's not. No improvements to pipe networks. No improvements to pressure networks or fix the useless "pipe run" system that can't even make vertical bends. Did Autodesk fix the Infrastructure Parts Editor to allow custom parts? Did they ever fix the IPE export bug for pressure networks where if the part had a double quote in the name the catalog won't work in C3D?

The top 20 most voted C3D Ideas in https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/civil-3d-ideas/idb-p/31/tab/most-kudoed has only six that are marked Implemented. Out of those, only four have really been Implemented. Two of the "Implemented" ones don't even do what was requested. Many of these are over a decade old and have just been ignored by Autodesk. 

It is obvious that Autodesk has placed C3D into a maintenance mode and is no longer working to create features or improvements that users actually want. 

Autodesk hasn't even implemented basic functions of C3D to work with ACC/BIM360. No support for pressure or pipe catalogs, the survey database, etc. in ACC. 

We have been looking at using Bentley's Open Roads and started some training on it this year. This is coming from someone who has been an Autodesk proponent since the 1990s. That's how bad Autodesk has been working on their civil design software where multiple decade long users are looking at other software.

C3D 2022-2025
Windows 11
32GB RAM
Message 16 of 28
neilyj666
in reply to: Cadguru42

...and Mass Haul isn't fit for purpose and hasn't been toched sine I've ben using civil 3D (2011 release)

I'm always very wary about claims of performance enhancements as they never seem to be realised on my data.

I won't be using 2025 until the UKIE County Kit is released so will see what performance is like at then.

EESignature

Message 17 of 28
tony1978

So I have been testing 2025 for months. Should you upgrade to 2205? Hmmm if you are on 2020-2023 then yes to you get 2024-2025 new features. If you are on 2024...then no because there just not enough improvements to justify to upgrade but it does not hurt to upgrade. You are not going to experience crashing.  

Tony Carcamo

President/Owner

Civil CAD Learning Solutions

DFW BIM Infrastructure User Group

LinkedIn | Twitter | Instagram | DFWBIUG |User Group

Message 18 of 28
cwr001
in reply to: HEBC3D

I don't think you fully understand the undertaking of upgrading .Net versions, adding a ton of features in the initial release would likely lead to a ton of issues and take much more time performing QA

I think you're just pretty pessimistic in general, I'm not sure why you're complaining about basic QOL updates. The 'efficiency' does not just mean the amount of time it takes to click something either.

If I'm pessimistic (which might be true after a long days work), you might be described as overly compliant! 🙂

Don't forget that Civil3d is quite costly - Autodesk isn't your open source small indie developer - so if tangible progress was hindered by a .NET-upgrade and we are now on open roads where everything can be developed faster - I'm all for it. We'll see how it goes.

No, it isn't. They have been updating it and simply haven't moved the cards within the roadmap yet. A lot of those cards on there also come from the ideas forum, posting to the ideas forum doesn't immediately mean your idea is viable or applicable to the general population of users either.

It has now been a week and there havn't been any updates. What's more, the, by far!, most demanded in-progress-feature ("Link Revit Building into Civil 3D Drawing") has of course NOT shipped (and this stuff has been on there for two years now) which will further delay anything in the "Up next" section.

What does it take to get an item on the roadmap? It's not ideas or their votes (as @Cadguru42 demonstrated).
How are roadmap-items prioritized? It's definitely not votes, as you can clearly see.
Autodesk can do whatever they want, but if there's no recognizable link between user interaction and shipped features and the timeline is completely random then the whole process is a huge waste of time, a huge source for disappointment and in the end: arbitrary.

Go take a look back at the past 4 years of C3D releases and let me know how many of them have a ton of new features in the XXXX.0 release. (hint: they don't).
The days of massive new features are probably over but there are still improvements coming out.

Looking at major releases, 2018 comes to mind: "Offset profiles" (as incomplete as they are), "Connected alignments" (they made drafting SO much easier!), "Corridor bow-tie cleanup" (this stuff is really incomplete, but the goal is great!) and there was more - just compare that to the above!

I'd actually welcome a version that doesn't add any features but focuses on fixing existing bugs and aims for completing features that are now only at 70% but what's happening right now in my opinion is an unwillingness to touch core parts of the software.

It's getting more and more like AutoCAD: Build weird, funky stuff in the name of progress while completely losing track of the fundamentals.

Message 19 of 28
jroot

Will there be a new Storm & Sanitary Analysis 2025? Or do we install 2024.1?

Message 20 of 28
AllenJessup

I'd suggest that anyone not happy with the development of the software join the Futures Portal and become a Beta Tester. You will get in depth knowledge of what these improvements mean and be able to give feedback directly to the development team.

I think the improvement in the Object Viewer will be very useful. The update to the coordinate system dialog is only the front end to a whole new way of dealing with coordinate systems including vertical datums. Repairing the broken concept of Level of Detail is a good improvement.

As others have mentioned. Autodesk doesn't save up the improvements for the yearly release anymore. They release updates throughout the year. So what you saw in 24.2 or 24.3 can be considered upgrades in 2025.

Civil 3D speed has been increasing over the past three years. Four years ago, that's what everyone was complaining about. That's why it's been a focus recently. There have also been speed increases in AutoCAD.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report