Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanted a dynamic north arrow block

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
1798 Views, 14 Replies

Wanted a dynamic north arrow block

Hello,

Awhile ago a person by the name of TRodger a Autodesk Expert Elite posted a scale block dwg file which I like and use this constantly every day in my work.

I tried searching in the forum for a north arrow that works similar to the scale block dwg type but I could not find anything to use.

Can someone make me something similar to the scale block dwg but using my north arrow attached and make it a block.

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
rl_jackson
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous

The scale block is a dynamic block you can do similar operation with a north arrow, of course you would want rotation about the center point here is an example

You can insert you north arrow in the attached and get the same thing.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: rl_jackson

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous

The scale block is a dynamic block you can do similar operation with a north arrow, of course you would want rotation about the center point here is an example

You can insert you north arrow in the attached and get the same thing.

Hello rl_Jackson,

Thanks for the north arrow dwg but when I try to insert it I get a error (see inserterror.png).

Message 4 of 15
rl_jackson

Odd, lets try this again.

I just say the problem. Your using C3D12, and I created it in 13 format.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 15
rl_jackson

See if this one works. I think I saved it back to 2010 drawing format.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Odd, lets try this again.

I just say the problem. Your using C3D12, and I created it in 13 format.

Hi rl_Jackson,

I created a blank dwg file with my proper project coordinates and when I type insert and browse where the file is I still get same error.

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

See if this one works. I think I saved it back to 2010 drawing format.

Hi rl_Jackson,

That seems to work with no errors but can you make the north arrow look like the one I requested?

After that I can give it a final test to see if everything works.

Thanks

Message 8 of 15
rl_jackson

I was going to let you handle that the only way to learn is to dive directly into it..... 🙂

Insert your block and then then delete all the unwanted objects, select the command icon for the rotate property and associate the new objects to the command.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

I was going to let you handle that the only way to learn is to dive directly into it..... 🙂

Insert your block and then then delete all the unwanted objects, select the command icon for the rotate property and associate the new objects to the command.

Hello,

I really am new to this type of blocks and dynamic stuff so I hope I can get this to work.

First in the scale dwg I can click on it and it gives me a bunch of different scale size to choose from. For yours I don't see any different scale sizes but I see a angle point when I open it in the block editor but when I close it I don't know where to click on the arrow to get the option to rotate it?

Message 10 of 15
rl_jackson

When you select the block with no command at the command line you'll see a little grip circle on the right side. That is where you get the rotation.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:
When you select the block with no command at the command line you'll see a little grip circle on the right side. That is where you get the rotation.

Hello,

Thanks for your time in explaining this to me. As you can see when I select your north error block when I click on the box I see the two round circles when I choose in the rotate in the x direction or y direction axis nothing rotates?  (see .png files). I still don't see the circle on the right side.

Message 12 of 15
Pointdump

RL,

When I open your drawing it opens in "Block Editor" and I can see your North Arrow. When I close the Block Editor, no matter whether I "Save" or "Discard Changes", it closes the drawing. If I open a new drawing, Design Center shows no Blocks in your drawing.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 13 of 15
rl_jackson
in reply to: Pointdump

@Pointdump

Only thing I can think of is something happened when I saved it back to a 2010 drawing from 2013. @Anonymous is using 2012

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Message 14 of 15
Pointdump

RL,

I've had the problem before of a drawing only opening in Block Editor Mode and abruptly closing the drawing when I close the Block Editor. I just started a new drawing and inserted the Block Drawing and then I could put that block in the new drawing:

NorthArrow2.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 15 of 15
Pointdump

FAD,

"I still don't see the circle on the right side."

The rotation grip is here:

NorthArrow.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report