Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

turning shapefiles into polylines

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
7977 Views, 6 Replies

turning shapefiles into polylines

Is there a way to create civil 3d lines or polylines out of a GIS layer?  I am working with a county parcel right now and the file is too big...I've tried to explode them so that I can delete what I do not need but that does not work.  Does anyone know now to take the GIS layer and bring it into civil as regular lines?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
tmachado
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous, sure is you will need to use this command MAPEXPORT, select the location and file formats like SHP or SDF.

here is the link to the helpfile just in case:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/CIV3D/2018/ENU/index.html?guid=GUID-93D7E402-07DD-4303-82D4-CE29AE0AC632

Hope this will help!

Was this answer helpful? If so, please click the ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or the LIKES button

Tatiana Machado
BIM Manager/ Autodesk Certified Instructor
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
InfraWorks Ambassador

Message 3 of 7
Jeew-m

Dear Friend,

I am not a expert in shape files. But by googling I found these two suggestions.

'If you are wanting the shp file objects as polylines then use the mapimport command and not the FDO...

'After you do this draw a polyline around the area your working in. Then use MAP=>TOOLS=>BOUNDARY TR...

Thanks

Note: These are for map 3d. But as I know map 3d commands can also be run in C3D in planning and analysis workspace.

Jeewana Meegahage
Design Engineer
Autodesk Civil 3D Tutorials
Facebook | YouTube | LinkedIn

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Jeew-m

This worked beautifully...it was just what I was looking for, thank you!

Message 5 of 7
Joe-Bouza

Hi Jeew-m

I actually find the FDO a more straightforward interface for bringing in shp file and leveraging annotations. Your google search overlooked the tool button on the FDO dialog. In it there is an option to save to DWG.

Which a more friendly interface you can import and annotate many shp and turn to DWG very easily

Cheers

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
Jeew-m
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the information. 

Jeewana Meegahage
Design Engineer
Autodesk Civil 3D Tutorials
Facebook | YouTube | LinkedIn

Message 7 of 7
akitchensZEZPR
in reply to: Jeew-m

Hi Jeewana, these links don't appear to work. They both take me to the front page of another forum, rather than linking directly to the information. Also, I'm only able to see the first few word because both links cut the text short with a "..."  Would you mind just posting the instructions directly into this forum?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report