Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble labeling contours in connected shapefile when viewport UCS is rotated

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
408 Views, 9 Replies

Trouble labeling contours in connected shapefile when viewport UCS is rotated

Hi all,

I have linked a contour shapefile to my CAD drawing and am trying to use the labeling feature in the Planning and Analysis Map Task Pane.

In the past, I have been able to generate the labels I would like to see (elevations labeled at regular intervals along each contour), and they have plotted exactly as they display in paperspace. This is not the case with my latest attempt, and here's why (i think):

In order to maximize my area coverage per sheet (and minimze the number of sheets i need) I've rotated the UCS roughly 45 degrees so that my streets run in the xy direction (more or less) in my plot sheet. 

For some reason, this rotation wreaks havoc on the shapefile label programming, and as a result. NONE of the labels print. See the two prints below to clarify:  

nonrotated_UCS.PNGrotated_UCS.PNG

If anyone has any insight on why this might be happening, or more importantly, how to resolve this issue, it would be greatly appreciated. 

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
lim.wendy
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi there,

When you mentioned rotating the UCS, do you mean rotating all objects in the drawing?

What happen if try DVIEW Twist?

Wendy Lim

Data Nerd | Community Advocate | AEC Industry

facebook twitter twitter blogs pm

Join the new online Rail Community

Customer Value Hub

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: lim.wendy

I did not mean rotating the objects. I mean that I have redefined the UCS in the drawing to have a rotation of 308 degrees from UCS World. (i.e. VIEWTWIST = 308)

I'm not sure if that answers your question?

Message 4 of 10
rl_jackson

What @lim.wendy is saying is don't rotate the ucs. Use a dview twist or rotate your viewport. And see if it works as you would expect.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: rl_jackson

I've tried DVIEW Twist and gotten the same results as in my initial post.

I've also tried setting VPROTATEASSOC to 1 and rotating the entire viewport. Same exact result.

There seems to be some bug with the interface between CAD and shapefiles that does not allow the labels to display with a rotation. At least that's my uninformed observation of the situation. I'll test any suggestions people might have at this point.  

Message 6 of 10
rl_jackson

Does it work as expected when you don't rotate the view

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

C3D has issues when UCS = anything other than world.  Unless you create a viewport and rotate the UCS in that viewport.  Or better yet, xref your design dwg into a plan dwg and change the ucs there.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

Yes it does. If you refer back to my original question, the only difference between the two images is that I rotated the UCS in the one which then shows no contour labels. The other image (showing the contour labels) is set to UCS World.

Message 9 of 10
Pointdump

Chris,

If you're looking for a verification that rotation breaks the Contour Styling, then please post your Contour Shapefile and drawing (to see what styling you used). Also your version/service packs would be helpful.

Do you consider MAPIMPORT'ing those contours into your drawing to be too onerous? (to create a surface with contour labels)

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 10 of 10
lim.wendy
in reply to: Pointdump

Hi Chris,

Agree with Dave.

If you could provide more details on how you label it, that would help.

I tried labeling the contours using Civil3D functionality, it seemed to work. 

Would this works for you?

Wendy Lim

Data Nerd | Community Advocate | AEC Industry

facebook twitter twitter blogs pm

Join the new online Rail Community

Customer Value Hub

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report