Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surfaces not combing as required - help

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
519 Views, 8 Replies

Surfaces not combing as required - help

I am using Civil 3d 2017 and am trying to combine two surfaces but when I merge I don't get what I am looking for.

The below image is when I select the 2 surfaces individually and look at them in object viewer and this is what I am trying to create as a single surface:

Pic1.jpg

Next is an image of what I am currently getting when combining these surfaces:

Pic2.jpg

If anyone has any idea of how I could achieve a merged surface such as the first image I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
MMcCall402
in reply to: Anonymous

How are you merging the surface?   Making a new surface and then pasting in the other two in the correct order?

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: MMcCall402

@MMcCall402 wrote:

How are you merging the surface?   Making a new surface and then pasting in the other two in the correct order?

Yes, I'm merging it by pasting them within a new created surface.

Message 4 of 9
wlewis

It appears as though you are creating a new surface, pasting the 'stepped' surface in first, then the sloped (red in your picture). Try creating a new surface pasting the sloped surface first, then the stepped surface.

The pasting of a surface over-writes whatever it is on top or bottom of.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: wlewis

@wlewis wrote:

It appears as though you are creating a new surface, pasting the 'stepped' surface in first, then the sloped (red in your picture). Try creating a new surface pasting the sloped surface first, then the stepped surface.

The pasting of a surface over-writes whatever it is on top or bottom of.

I've tried this solution but it ends with the sloped surface being completely omitted and only the stepped one being present.

Pic3.jpgI am new to the software so perhaps there is another I do not know of to achieve the first image as a single surface?

Message 6 of 9
wlewis

I would edit the 'stepped' surface to limit the breaklines to where you want them to start sloping, one can also paste the stepped surface into a new surface and edit that if so desired.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: wlewis

@wlewis wrote:

I would edit the 'stepped' surface to limit the breaklines to where you want them to start sloping, one can also paste the stepped surface into a new surface and edit that if so desired.

Thanks, this is what I managed to get a result with.

Message 8 of 9
Jowennl

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Jowennl

@Jowennl wrote:

Hi @Jase28x,

I replied to this yesterday but my post is not displaying. I am re-posting this <screencast> again as a guide.

Cheers,

Jowenn

Wow, thank you so much, this is an even better method from the way I did it before. Perfect!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report