Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface TIN line editing

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
688 Views, 13 Replies

Surface TIN line editing

I was wondering if there was a quick way to make the surface in the attached image fill out evenly in between the two contours without having to manually edit, swap, or delete each tin line.  I simply have a bunch of polylines with 1' elevation increments and would like the surface to reflect evenly between them. Thanks,

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: Anonymous

Hey Brent. How goes it? So you created the contours from polylines? There are some options there. Set the Supplementing Factor really low, like to 1.0 and the Mid-ordinate distance to like 0.1. That should clean it up for you.

Todd Rogers
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

TODD! Long time no hear from.  It's going good.  Same chair, new name on the checks.  How about yourself?  I actually already tried that and it didn't work.

Message 4 of 14
ToddRogers-WPM

It's going good brother. You know we got bought out didn't you?

Todd Rogers
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

No, I didn't know that.  You were my go to guy at TotalCad, but when WE were bought out, that gravy train ended. lol. Who are you with now?

Message 6 of 14
ToddRogers-WPM

We are still Total CAD, but we have the Graitec logo. Graitec is a European company. Not much has changed really. Hey can you attach the drawing here and let me take a look at it?

Todd Rogers
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

Oh ok.  I told Dwayne and he was curious too.  As long as all is going well.  

Not a problem.  I had to remove the contour data from the surface due to size, but it's all there isolated.  Thanks again.

Message 8 of 14
ToddRogers-WPM

I set the angle in there to 0.1 and it fixed almost all of them. By default it is set to 4.0. Wouldn't let me attach it, but try that and let me know.

Todd Rogers
Message 9 of 14
neilyj666

As a general point, contours are not the best objects from which to build a surface - although I appreciate that sometimes it is all you have to go on - as the amount of data can really slow down the dwg.

You will almost always get flat spots to some degree in the contour loops (even if the all the Add contour options are ticked and the surface will only be accurate to the contour interval - what happens between the supplied contour intervals??. Ideally always get the original TIN (or LandXML) to ensure consistency between surfaces.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2025 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 10 of 14
Dexterel
in reply to: neilyj666

_AeccMinimizeSurfaceFlatAreas
And check swap edge, this will do it
Message 11 of 14
neilyj666
in reply to: Dexterel

Mostly this does work but there are occasions when it doesn't - I think it mainly depend on the initial contour interval.

It should faithfully reproduce the original polyline contours at the original interval but if you set the style to show a smaller interval you will get flat areas in the underlying TIN and if you are computing volumes then this is what volumes are based on and you could get erroneous volumes.

It may not be significant in terms of percentage error but it is something to be aware of and to take a pragmatic view depending on the end use of the surface.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2025 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 12 of 14
Dexterel
in reply to: neilyj666

Add polylines as brakelines and use supplement factor to get a equal vertex distribution.

Run the minimize flat areas multiple times, this will clean everything.

1.png

Message 13 of 14
Dexterel

Add the contours as Counter data and check everything.

Also use a supplement of about 5 now is 20 I think

Message 14 of 14
Anonymous

Thanks guys!  ionescu_dragosWHU3X, it seems your solutions worked out very well.  It interpreted between contours that go up or down like I would have hoped.  Obviously it doesn't know what it can do between equal contours so this is clearly all it can do.  neilyj, you are correct in that they are not the best to make a surface with, but yes, for now it is all I have and I wanted to get as good as bad can get.  Todd, I left yesterday before I could respond, but I tried that and it did help, but wasn't as clear as what ionescu_dragosWHU3X did.  I'm sure you would have got it, but I set the deck (of cards) by leaving.  It was good catching up with you!

Thanks for all of your help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report