Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface Slowing Me Down

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
3669 Views, 11 Replies

Surface Slowing Me Down

C3D 2017 SP 1.1

Win7

I have a surface data referenced in my working file. I also referenced the contours in from the same Surface dwg.

My problem is that in the middle of simple Autocad commands, like COPY or LINE, if my cross hairs are over the surface it stops responding so that it can:

Reading triangles from file.

Renumbering points and triangle indices.

The surface is huge. To read and renumber surface data takes a few seconds. Then I move the crosshair a teeny bit more and it does it again. It may take ten teeny bits until I get to where I want to go.

How do I tell it to ignore that surface? I unchecked Show tooltips in the surface properties. I PURGEd ,AUDITed AND RECOVERed both my working drawing and the reference dwg, but nothing helps. Is there another setting someplace that makes it want to read the surface as I go along?

This same drawing is also taking 15 seconds (I timed it) to place Mtext after I am done entering the text. Not to edit it, but to place new Mtext. For this I changed all the fonts to Roamns (they had been ttf Arial), but this did not help.

I have a model space tab, and 10 paper space tabs for sheets.

Is my file too bloated? It is 11.28mb now. It's pretty big, but I've worked with far bigger.

Any suggestions?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
wfberry
in reply to: Anonymous

Is Snap OFF?

Is Regenauto OFF?

Is your computer memory maxed out and it is using your hard drive? (Most computers have a flashing light when the hard drive is working.)

Bill

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: wfberry

I checked those settings, and having them off does not help. I still reads the surface as I hover over it.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous

It happens only in a command or grip edit. It happens in paper space, working in paper space, when the crosshairs cross the surface.

Message 5 of 12
Joe-Bouza

@Anonymous wrote:

C3D 2017 SP 1.1

Win7

I have a surface data referenced in my working file. I also referenced the contours in from the same Surface dwg.

(detach the xref and see if the performance improves) why do you need to xref also? Set the style of the DS to show contours

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

unloading the reference with contours in it made it go away.

Message 7 of 12
Joe-Bouza

Thats right. You were double banging the processor

Please select "accept solution" so other readers may be aware of your solution

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 12
NEO-Infra

TRY ORTHO OFF AND ALSO TEMPOVERRIDES SET TO 0.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

I had the same problem and apparently the xref moved by accident, just unload and reload

Message 10 of 12
qureshikhizar

That's a suggestion. Why would you remove the xref. I have same issue and i need the surface to remain as an xref. This issue is not resolved....

@qureshikhizar - this post has been edited due to Community Rules & Etiquette violation.

Message 11 of 12
qureshikhizar
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Hi this is not the solution to detach xrefs. One can have several surfaces referenced and they have to stay that way. Need to research more how to solve this issue. I am facing the same problem when using o snap. The moment cross hairs come over the surface, the screen freezes and takes a while to unfreeze when i hit esc key several times. I have to turn off o snap if i want to go over the surface.

Message 12 of 12
keithlSD8S6

Try this: If you need to keep the xref around, but the surface contours and points (likely culprit) are bogging down the system, create a data shortcut for the surface in the xref. Reference the surface in your drawing and then hide/freeze/turn off the contours in the xref. Another option if it is possible is to have the surface information in a completely separate drawing on its own. You can create a data shortcut with the surface and it will show up in your drawing and it is not required to be in the xrefs at all. This is what I just did for my issue and it solved it. One thing I had to do though was relocate my surface in the separate drawing so it matched up in my master drawing which was geolocated on a NAD83 datum. So once I found where that was I moved the surface in the surface specific drawing, updated/synchronized the surface, and I was having no issues AND there was no requirement for that surface drawing to be in the xref list. 

Couple options there. Hope one works!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report