Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distance between 2 entities along an alignment or at intervals

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Roadapple
224 Views, 3 Replies

Distance between 2 entities along an alignment or at intervals

What I am trying to do is determine how wide the existing shoulder is for a stretch of highway.  I would like to produce documentation that has the width between the lane edge and the pavement edge at regular intervals/alignment chainage.

The lane edge and pavement edge survey shots are chained together as a 3dpolyline, respectfully.

I found how to get the minimum distance, but I would like it for the entire stretch of highway.

Thanks,

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
TerryDotson
in reply to: Roadapple

If you were to consider third party add-ons, DotSoft's C3DTools contains an Alignment Sample Figures tool.  Simply select the Alignment, toggle on the named figures (FeatureLines) and build the table of samples by station range.  One click export to Excel, Word, etc.

csAliSmpFig.png

Request the 45-day full working evaluation and try it for yourself.

Message 3 of 4
Neilw_05

This is just an idea. I haven't run any tests, nor do I know the specifics for the workflow. My idea is to create a profile view with bands showing the offsets of the pavement and shoulder edges. A separate band would calc the difference in the offsets to give the shoulder width. Be aware the widths would be perpendicular to whatever baseline is used, which may not be the shortest distance.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 4 of 4
Roadapple

Thanks all but I figured out a solution.

I just used sample lines where the lane edge and pavement edge were converted to alignments.

Creating the sample lines I used the alignment as a target and then in the sample line group properties, I copied the information from each group to a spreadsheet and removed the unwanted information and performed a calculation to subtract the pavement edge distance from the lane edge distance.

Worked like a charm.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report