Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface Analysis: I want a specific number of intervals

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
cwr001
277 Views, 3 Replies

Surface Analysis: I want a specific number of intervals

Hello,

I'm in need of some guidance with surface analysis - somehow I'm unable to achieve what I want and I don't really understand how they are supposed to work. I'm working with Civil3d 2021.3 but was able to reproduce the issue in 2022.1.1

I have a surface that I want to stylize with a fixed number of classes/intervalls.

In my surface-style I've set "Create ranges by" to "Number of Ranges", "Group by" to "Equal interval" and "Number of Ranges" to "10".

Now I enter the "Analysis"-Tab of my surface properties and under "Ranges", "Create ranges by" --> "Number of ranges" --> "10" I add them via this arrow-button.

However: 11 ranges are added, not 10:

Pic1.JPG

If I play around I get weird results:

Number of Ranges: 0 --> It works, zero ranges.

Number of Ranges: 1 --> It works, one range.

Number of Ranges: 2 --> It works, two ranges.

Number of Ranges: 3 --> Doesn't work: four ranges

Number of Ranges: 4 --> It works, four ranges

Number of Ranges: 5 --> Doesn't work: six ranges

Number of Ranges: 6 --> Doesn't work: seven ranges

Number of Ranges: 7 --> Doesn't work: eight ranges

Pic2.JPG

I don't know where I'm doing something wrong and I'd need this to work reliably.

(I'm planing on pasting my surface-analysis definition with the functionalities of the UK-countrykit tools but it doesn't work because the number of ranges-value doesn't come across correctly.)

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
declan_g
in reply to: cwr001

I have always used Range interval myself. But if you really want 10 ranges with equal interval you can see your max minimum levels so divide the level diff of max min by 10. Set this as your Range Interval and set the Base elevation as your minimum level.

declan_g_0-1638792743330.png

Message 3 of 4
cwr001
in reply to: declan_g

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately I'm not using intervals with a fixed range (the screenshots are misleading) but something like this (nothing displayed between -0.01 and 0.01, small ranges close to zero, large ranges for min and max):

Pic3.JPG

(On this screenshot you can see my issue: I've created the surface, imported the surface display settings and an additional, useless region is added (the max elevation of my surface is 0.201, so this range is completely empty) because Civil3d seems to be unable to just add 10 regions.)

Message 4 of 4
lim.wendy
in reply to: cwr001

Hi @cwr001 ,

Can you post your drawing and the ranges you'd like to have?

Noticed you posted the dwg, I will take a look.

Wendy Lim

Data Nerd | Community Advocate | AEC Industry

facebook twitter twitter blogs pm

Join the new online Rail Community

Customer Value Hub

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report