Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions for working with 500+ COGO Point Labels

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
618 Views, 16 Replies

Suggestions for working with 500+ COGO Point Labels

Hello,

I am wondering what the best way to work with COGO Point Labels is. I have 500+ COGO Points and their corresponding labels. I am instructed to move the labels so that they are not obstructing any elements. 

Is there any way to work with COGO point labels other than dragging/moving each one individually. If you had to work with 500+ COGO points and label the points, how would you do it?

Looking for suggestions.

Thanks.

Tags (3)
Labels (3)
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
_Hathaway
in reply to: Anonymous

Just edit your point label style so the label doesn't get in the way of the elements.  With a little trial and error this should be an easy fix.

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: _Hathaway

I am working with trees, the problem is a lot of trees are very close or on top of each other. Dragging gives me an arrow to the point, but dragging 500+ times is a hassle and finding a place to put the label in dragged state is quite hard since it is a complex drawing.
Message 4 of 17
_Hathaway

I agree.  Sometimes there just isn't enough room at the scale you need the drawing to be.  You'll either have to make multiple drawings at smaller scales or live with leadering them all around the page. Or completely change the point style to allow for less text attached to the point.  Maybe a tree table with each tree assigned a #.

Message 5 of 17
Neilw_05

The answer is no, you have to move one at a time. Be glad you only have around 500. I had a project with about 1600. It took almost 9 seconds to move a label due to the processing. The reason I used COGO points was to create coordinate tables for construction purposes.

Someone may have created a tool that can do it. Look for SINCPAC, DOTSOFT and maybe the Apps store.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 6 of 17
TerryDotson
in reply to: Neilw_05

...created a tool that can do it. Look for SINCPAC, DOTSOFT and ...

Thanks for the mention.  We have a tool that lets you select cogo points and it extends the leader labels based on a specified X/Y offset, or a specified radial distance.  This image shows what it currently does, if someone has another method that could be implemented we would be happy to add it.

PntLeaCmd.png

Message 7 of 17
jefflambert9091

What can help with trees is to put the label at the bottom of the tree. Use the Bottom Center for the Anchor Point. 

Jeff
Civil 3D 2024
Message 8 of 17
rl_jackson

When it comes to trees what I usually do, is create a Table sometimes it will be a point table where I might us an expression for the # to make it start at 1 or some other # that makes sense, sometimes I'll do a Acad Table with just the point number for each tree to reflect as a corresponding line in the table that provides a Description (for me its just Tree or Palm - the Tree expert takes the table and modifies the description), DBH, Height and Spread.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: TerryDotson

Is there a standalone version this tool that I can purchase? Unfortunately cannot spend $395 for the entire package.

Message 10 of 17
TerryDotson

Is there a standalone version this tool that I can purchase? Unfortunately cannot spend $395 for the entire package.

Why we don't produce separate tools.

The price is actually 25% less than that.

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: _Hathaway

Yeah, I usually add a tree table on a separate layout page.

This is essentially what I'm working with:

beaubokan_0-1624388548573.png

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: Neilw_05

It's very unfortunate.

This is one of the smaller tree inventories I have worked with. I usually deal with tree inventories with 3000 or more trees.

Wanted to ask this question in hopes of making it easier for myself, not only with this project, but future ones as well.

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: jefflambert9091

Thanks for the suggestion, however, doesn't really work for my situation.

This is what I am working with:

beaubokan_0-1624388787283.png

Message 14 of 17
jefflambert9091

$395 would pay off in one project. I don't see how you can ever get out of drafting. Something is always in the way. 

Jeff
Civil 3D 2024
Message 15 of 17
fcernst
in reply to: jefflambert9091

Right..The Tools have made me the Office Hero more than once..

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2025
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 16 of 17
TerryDotson

The displacement option of the tool mentioned would work well for this.  It would work by picking two points, one where the label is now and another where you would like it to be (up and to the right?).  All labels of CogoPoints selected stretch and the leader appears as if you had picked each one and dragged it up/right.

Consider trying the 45-day full working evaluation?

Message 17 of 17
jefflambert9091
in reply to: fcernst

The dotsoft Lidar tools made me a hero and it was free! 

Jeff
Civil 3D 2024

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report