Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Styles which can create dissociated labels

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
623 Views, 13 Replies

Styles which can create dissociated labels

Having used C3d for the pass several years, still do not find the required associative labeling effective.  It appears to create significant errors and does not lend itself to be edited.

Is there a way (without going to 3rd party software to have annotation styles that create disassociated labels.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
rl_jackson
in reply to: Anonymous

The easiest way to make a label dis-associative is to just explode it. But I certainly would not recommend doing that, so I guess the better question here is:

What are the significant errors being created that does not lend itself to be edited?

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: rl_jackson

They are multiple. (Please note this is coming from a Survey Plat work mode)

1. Not understanding what has been or could be done within a dwg (multiple user's) leads to many time expenditures which are quite frustrating.
2. Many time minor edits are required which are not easily accomplished when working with where objects and text are connected. This relates more to the production of plats, where the connectivity is not really relevant rather the current presentation of dimensions/bearings and distances.
3. Find having a simplified work flow is need for the expedient production of survey documents. Connectivity is secondary, but accuracy is primary.
Message 4 of 14
rl_jackson

1. Not understanding what has been or could be done within a dwg (multiple user's) leads to many time expenditures which are quite frustrating. This might be a training issue, that's something would need to be solved interally and you'll still have issues if people don't follow procedure.

2. Many time minor edits are required which are not easily accomplished when working with where objects and text are connected. This relates more to the production of plats, where the connectivity is not really relevant rather the current presentation of dimensions/bearings and distances. I have done literally hundreds and hundreds of documents that are survey plats either small residential jobs or big commercial sites, I also use parcels a lot as well and think there a must when doing subdivisions.

3. Find having a simplified work flow is need for the expedient production of survey documents. Connectivity is secondary, but accuracy is primary. Are you using automated linework (Survey Database), Parcels. I find that Connectivity is primary as that is the accuracy and there integral. There seems to be a workflow that your missing in C3D.  This could be all of how your template is set up.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

I understand that you are not understanding my dilemma. I am a senior Technician and working with and for multiple personnel.
I am trying to resolve issues which are enigmatic to the use of C3D. I know that C3D is committed to their product, as we are committed to producing our product.
We need a way to simplify the use of the Annotative labels. Having the ability of producing bearings and distance which do not retain their connectivity is essential. Simply implying that maintaining the connectivity enhances accuracy, belies the misunderstanding of what we are working against.
Training is always a requirement and that is the only reason I am trying to understand. Currently, we are having to double explode and/or redo plats, for a simple correction.
I know there are other products which will do this and was hoping for a simple fix
Message 6 of 14
Pointdump

Eric,
I guess I just don't understand what you mean by "dissociated" labels. Isn't that kinda the point, that a label is associated with the thing it's labeling? If you don't want association, just use MText.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 7 of 14
rl_jackson

You do know that for a simple correction, or addition to a particular label just by selecting the label and right-click you can edit the label text itself or add to it.  I do this all the time with measured calls verse plat calls. 

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous

I understand that you are committed to making this work and obviously your work environment is conducive to it.

I see I am not going to get the assistance I need.

Thanks

Message 9 of 14
wfberry

Well, I am with Dave and Rick.  In our assessments, it appears difficult to fix something that is not broken.

Bill

Message 10 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: wfberry

I am sorry if I am not communicating well enough.

It may not be broken, but it may not be working for others.  I appreciate you time, but this conversation is kind of one sided.

Message 11 of 14
rl_jackson

I have yet to see a image or diffinative issue your having. And I do plats and have in C3D exclusively since 2008. 

Now if I and others could understand your problems either visually or otherwise we could assist you greatly. 

Now for an example of my workflow. I always leave my bearings and distances associated. If I have field conditions that don't reflect record information I'll generally draw the record information to the side label that information and explode it to simple mtext and move it above the corresponding associated line label. This is just my preferred method of handling that problem, there our other ways to do this and you can even get fancy and use reference text. 

In short give us a accurate description/picture of your problem and I'm sure I or anyone here can help you with a solution. 

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Message 12 of 14
Neilw_05

I suspect the issue is they need to show 2 dimensions on the plat lines. One is measured bearing and distance, and the other is record bearing and distance. The OP can achieve this by adding a piece of text to his label style that does not have any association to the linework. It would be a static placeholder. Then after the label is applied they can edit the label to show the record dimensions. This is also how you could create an entirely static un-associated label. Just omit any references to the object. You would still benefit from the label style functionality from C3D. However there is the possibility the labels would get reset to their default values if certain edits are made to the style and any overrides would be lost.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 13 of 14
rl_jackson
in reply to: Neilw_05

However there is the possibility the labels would get reset to their default values if certain edits are made to the style and any overrides would be lost.

Hence my method of just moving plain text to the location. I usually do this in different text styles and sizes 

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Message 14 of 14
Neilw_05

Another option is to use dimensions for the labels. They will stay aligned with the object if it moves or rotates, can slide along the lines or arcs or be dragged away, and can be globally modified via the style. The style can disable the display of all the dimension components except the text.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report