Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSA showing NaN value in bypass flow

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
pmhereS5MEY
399 Views, 8 Replies

SSA showing NaN value in bypass flow

Our project requires us to model Catch Basins (CB) on a hill. How would correctly set up my inlet to model that? I have tried to use a neenah grate and recieve a "nan" value in my bypass flow. Also why is there no bypass flow difference between curb inlet and no curb inlet? Another problem i have came across is understanding "On Sag" and "On Grade" conditions for my CB. I have been using "On Grade" because "On Sag" does not produce a bypass flow. If you could help resolve this matter that would be great! Thanks! 

f

Labels (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
pperales2
in reply to: pmhereS5MEY

Can you post a screenshot of your catchbasin?
Message 3 of 9
cdunkel
in reply to: pperales2

I am having the same issue reporting "nan" for inlet intercepted and bypass in SSA 2024.

SSA nan.png

Message 4 of 9
fcernst

The Neenah product rating curves only go up to 0.06 for longitudinal slope on their website., take it down to <= 0.06 just for a sensitivity test., I’m away from the computer.. curious..

then after that go back to your steep project slope and make the grate 10’ feet long .. 20 feet long..for sensitivity analysis for splash over velocity implications.. 

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2025
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 5 of 9

nan is computer for "not a number."

Looks like a bug - it should capture 100% as Splash over velocity is about 9 fps for curved vane, and its only about 4.9 fps in the gutter approach.

Matthew Anderson, PE
Message 6 of 9
fcernst

Looking at this now, your grate width is wider than the gutter width.. and you can't have that situation.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2025
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 7 of 9
cdunkel
in reply to: fcernst

Thank you for all the responses. In this situation, the gutter width and grate width difference appears to have been the issue.

The model has been working using SSA 2019 until a new computer forced me to use SSA 2024.

I will keep all the suggestions in mind when troubleshooting in the future.

Thank you.

FZ 342.png

Message 8 of 9
fcernst
in reply to: cdunkel

Yes, it would be better if SSA gave a warning on that.. as other software in the industry does.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2025
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 9 of 9
fcernst

To be clear this was not a bug.. it was due to incorrect User input data..

You have marked an incorrect solution for this thread. 

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2025
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report