Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Selection

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1009 Views, 5 Replies

Slow Selection

Hey all!  I am having an issue with a user that is having very slow performance with something a simple as selecting a polyline.  Granted, this is a little bigger drawing, but it does not contain too much along the "civil"  aspect (ie corridor, pips, etc.).  It is a linework base drawing.  When the user tries to select a line or a polyline (2d) there is a 1-5 second lag before they can proceed with anything else.  It should be noted that there are very few verticies in the polylines (maybe 10-15 in a pline of any length).  To say the least, this is very frustrating.  I have tried to get rid of this issue by as best as I can. but to no avail.

Thought?

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Jay_B
in reply to: Anonymous

Is the lag the same on other pc's?

Is the lag the same if a default c3d profile is used?

Has the temp folder been cleaned out recently?

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Jay_B

The lag does appear on other computers with the same drawing.  It seems to be confined to one or two drawings.  The temp file was just cleaned out a few days ago and does not have very much "junk" in it right now (that was the first thing I checked).

Message 4 of 6
Jay_B

What version & service pack?

Has dgn purge been done on the file to remove any dgn linetype data? (this can cause file bloat)

Is lag the same if tested locally & not on a network.

What is the file size?

Slowness can be very difficult to troubleshoot and the more specific information, shared here, the better the chance someone will have a solution.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Jay_B

We are running Civil 2015 with SP2 installed.  There was some dgn components that were used in the initial parts of this project, but they exist in this drawing only in the form of an XREF, and have since been removed.

The file size is only about 8500 Kb, so fairly small.

When running audits on the actual drawing I had nothing flagged/fixed.  This morning I inserted that drawing into a blank project (which broke a few links, but that's okay) and I ran an audit and found/fixed 9 errors.  That seemed to fix the problem.  I have now suggested that the user go through and "clean the tree" with any drawings that are attached.

I agree, slowness is a difficult problem to fix.  For whatever reason this project has had more than its' share of issues.  The used keeps asking for RAM, but I thik that going to give more of a "feel good" than it will fix anything.  He actually had an instance (I wasn't here for this one) where simply xref-ing a drawing into another brought in a bunch of surfaces and other stuff.  I explained that doesn't seem possible (that's not really the nature of an xref), but none the less.

Okay, I'll stop venting!

Thanks!
Message 6 of 6
CADmgrMike

Similar problem here, but it seems to only happen after I have created or selected a hatch.

After that, all selection is very slow.

closing C3D and reopening drawing fixes the problem until I select a hatch again.

Mike Porter
https://provostandpritchard.com/

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report