Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Import of Point File to Network Survey Database

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
bretttierneyR8C3F
298 Views, 5 Replies

Slow Import of Point File to Network Survey Database

Hello, 

We are experiencing an issue where importing a point file to a drawing is very slow. This only occurs when the working folder and survey database are set on a network drive. When the working folder and survey database are stored locally to the pc the process only takes a few seconds. 

So far we have reinstalled SQL, .NET Framework. I have contacted Autodesk support but they weren't much help since the issue only occurs when the files in question are on our network. We have had success in the past with reinstalling SQL but that didn't work this time.

Here are some previous posts about this topic:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/civil-3d-forum/survey-database-on-network-import-very-slow-c3d2009-sp...

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/civil-3d-forum/survey-database-import-extremely-slow-2020/m-p/1063411...

@jefflambert9091 

Labels (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Unfortunately, unless someone else has seen the exact same issue you have happens to be around in the forums, your best bet for an answer is going to be with support.   How is your working folder configured on the network?  Are all your survey data bases in one folder, or do you change the working folder from job to job?  I do know that if you have your working folder set so there are a lot of databases within it, it will be very slow.

Christopher T. Cowgill, P.E.

AutoCAD Certified Professional
Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2022 on Windows 10

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 3 of 6

Unfortunately support was unable to help. The working folder does not have many databases within it. The only thing that seems to be causing the slow down is the working folder being on the network rather than the local machine. 

Message 4 of 6

Are you connected to your server through a VPN or is the server in your building?  If I am using our VPN connection this process takes forever, about 5+minutes.  If I am in the office connected to our servers it takes seconds.

Message 5 of 6

The server is in the building. Over a our vpn the connection can take 15 minutes rather than 1-2. 

Message 6 of 6

I did make some progress on this. When the working folder is set in a share drive that doesn't contain many files the import happens within seconds as it should. My boss told me about a when he investigated this issue previously, civil3d will try to scan or access other files in the same drives as the working folder which over the network takes a long time. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report