Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up descriptor keys for field to finish workflows

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
278 Views, 4 Replies

Setting up descriptor keys for field to finish workflows

hi there, my name is Pete and I'm familiar with land desktop and civil3d 2014 , 2018 and 2019. I just started working for the current company with whom i would like to start implementing field to finish practices. the problem that I'm having is as follows. when i go into the prospector i get a little lost because I'm not finding the original file or excel sheet with the attributes and descriptions for me to copy or rename. I've noticed the procedure is now different than it was before but if i could save some time by importing the old into the new then that would be great. could anybody please advise me on the best practice to either create a new template that would read the point correctly for linework and symbols or import the old file in the new FBK file to generate line work. thank you everyone

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Jeff_M
in reply to: Anonymous

You can import Description Keys from an old LDD project:

2021-12-23_9-48-14.png

Or, if you have a C3D drawing with a good DescriptionKeySet, open that drawing and slecting the DKSet in Propsector drag/drop the set from that dwg into the new drawing.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Jeff_M

That's what I was going to do except my source folder didn't or doesn't have any normal or conventional DK's but I do have both civil3d 2014 and Land desktop.  Here is what I have.

1st.layering standards that can be applied to today's descriptions

2nd. Field codes that everyone can agree is used

I need:

1st. Working example of FBK WITH today's descriptors to use as a starting point and illustrate the field to finish workflow. I just have old project folders and drawings but not the raw files or FBK To show them what I'm talking about and what it looks like...do you know what I mean?

Otherwise I will have to do Everything from scratch:)

Message 4 of 5
rl_jackson
in reply to: Anonymous

What @Jeff_M showed is exactly what should be done if you have an old LDD directory structure that contains a Description Key file (If you have something else the world isn't lost, there are some 3rd-party routines depending on the dataset). If you don't have that you're going to need a bigger oar to get you up the river, as far as defining those keys again. Basically, you'll need to recreate what you don't have, from Point Style-Label etc.. All depending on your key file. (This part can be time consuming; I've pushed mine through 15 years along with versions of C3D and modified them all the way - It's never perfect!)

On the F2F, description keys have nothing to do with that, there strictly for telling a point what Point Style/Label to display a symbol/label or push a point based on description to a specific layer (among other things) based on your method of skinny the cat (For me all points that don't have a symbol go to one layer, all that get a symbol go the layer specified in the key). For F2F you'll need to create "keys" similarly that refer to objects (linework) like EP or BC so that the data being imported knows that you want it to connect A to B to C, these are called Figure Prefixes, and this must be defined in the Figure Prefix Database to control linework. Here you'll need to hit the Settings tab, to create Figure Styles, then you'll need to hit the Survey Tab and expand the Figure Prefix Database and create descriptions that reflect what you want to draw a line/curve/or spline, do an offset horizontally or vertically ect.... (Note: At the same time, you may want to review Linework Code Sets). And you'll definitely want to check out the Survey Database Settings.

PS: Attached are a couple of PDF's that I would treat as a sort of BIBLE, pay attention to the NOTES. These somewhat explain the LAYER 0

PSS: Huge topic to write about, and it all can't be hit at once......   _No Display can be your friend.

HTH

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 5

If you plan on doing linework in the field the Linework Code Sets are in the Survey Tab in your Toolspace.  Use the help button once you open a code set to edit. The help has good examples on how to use them. Attached is a PDF I put together with some of the help snapshots for using Linework Code Sets. 

Also, you don't have to use a FBK for fieldwork if your just doing topo. An exported csv file from the collector will work. We use a FBK's for the traverse and adjustment and then just export csv files for topo.

Jeff
Civil 3D 2024

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

State of Sustainability Webinar

Rail Community