Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Separate Layering of Depression Contours Still NOT Supported (Civil 3D 2018)

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
414 Views, 4 Replies

Separate Layering of Depression Contours Still NOT Supported (Civil 3D 2018)

It appears that separate layering of depression contours is still NOT supported in Civil 3D 2018. Is this still true? There have been user requests for this for at least a decade, and most contouring/DTM packages that create depression contours have supported this for many years. Are there any automated workarounds for this? Right now, my best workaround is to create the contours in Inroads.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Kevin.Spear
in reply to: Anonymous

First, C3D does not create contours, it creates an object that displays many things including contours. In fact, in the surface style definition, you can utilize depression contours if you prefer to see them. However, they are all one component; either major, minor or user contours. You can extract the contours from the surface and relayer them that way if you prefer. That way, you can get the appropriate linetype if that matters.

Hope this helps!
Thanks
Kevin

Kevin Spear, PE
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Kevin.Spear

Thank you for your reply. All you say is true, however, the "relayer them that way if you prefer" is a tedious manual process. Before one could relayer more than a few, let alone hundreds or thousands of contours, one could have exported the DTM to Inroads, pressed a couple of buttons, and presto, finished!

Message 4 of 5
wpagl452
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous thanks for your post! 

Currently there is not a great workflow for isolating and layering depression contours separately. I can see how this would be a time-consuming process if you have multiple large surfaces.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. While I will make a note to check if this is on the development team's radar, I would still direct you (here!) to submit your idea, even if you have for previous versions.

All the best,
Winston
Message 5 of 5

Just wondering if there's anything new on this.  If Civil 3d can identify which contours are depression contours, you'd think there'd be a way to lsolate them or assign them to their own layer(s), wouldn't you?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report