Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pipe network too large???

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
sfore
752 Views, 8 Replies

pipe network too large???

I'm laying out a Sanitary system for a large Sewer study and now am experiencing performance issues. No surface is present. So far, my drawing consists of over 1000 structures and over 1000 pipes laid out on Bing aerial thru GeoLocation. My captured Bing (420 images) is in a separate drawing and is xref'd into my sewer layout, but is unloaded due to performance when saving and zooming etc...

When I switch structure/pipe type or switch to laying out only structures and/or pipes, I have lags especially if drawing has been open for several hours. Once I close down Civil3d and reopen drawing, performance is a little better for a short time. Do you think its hardware or drawing components causing this?

I'm using C3D 2016 w/ all updates. My computer specs are:

Windows 8.1 Pro

32GB Ram, Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2643 v3@3.40GHz

x64, 512GB SSD, 1TB HHD @7200 rpm

4GB Nvidia Quadro K4200

See stats in pic. I still have more to layout.

stats.JPG

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
cwr-pae
in reply to: sfore

Have never dealt with a pipe network that large. But from experience with more moderate size ones ...

Yes a large network can bog down. I would divide the network in to smaller more manageable areas based on pumping/lift stations or major collector manholes. I would handle each upstream area as a total flow into the downstream area. Possibly even do each area in a separate file.

Message 3 of 9

Have you installed this performance fix? Perhaps it might help?

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-civil-3d/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticl...

Steve Hill,Civil Designer / .NET Developer / AutoCAD and AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

http://redtransitconsultants.com/
Autodesk Exchange Store
Twitter | LinkedIn | YouTube

Message 4 of 9
sfore
in reply to: cwr-pae

I thought of separating it but where everything connects, I just hate to break it out....sorta goes against logic of connection pipe profile labels and quantities with pipe app. This is just preliminary and no profiles are needed at this point so it may be a performance advantage to break it out into areas. I'm just so accustomed to placing design in one drawing then using dref and xrefs for sheet creation.

Message 5 of 9

haven't seen this before. its not on the download service packs and hotfixes page. where did you find this?

Message 6 of 9

@sfore, it's been going around on the forums initially. We had some issues across many users and files with extreme lagging both on opening and working within them. One of our vendors pointed it out to us and we tested and it solved our issues.

I'm not positive it's the same issue you are having - however, note that this patch is essentially taken care of in the latest AutoCAD hotfix which replaces the AeccNetwork.dbx file which seems to be causing the lag. The PDF white paper includes some additional tools to quickly open/save drawings within a project - standard service packs and hotfixes do not.

Steve Hill,Civil Designer / .NET Developer / AutoCAD and AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

http://redtransitconsultants.com/
Autodesk Exchange Store
Twitter | LinkedIn | YouTube

Message 7 of 9

I do have the latest Hotfix 4 installed. That came out 080516. I installed it on 080816. Maybe I need to look into Hardware...maybe go from 32GB to 64GB. This study is very large, so maybe I'm expecting too much performance with my current hardware.

Message 8 of 9
randyspear6624
in reply to: sfore

Did you ever find out if it was the size of your network that was causing the performance issues?

Message 9 of 9
sfore
in reply to: randyspear6624

No, from memory I think it was all the captured images plus my hardware. I've since upgraded hardware along with windows and versions of c3d, so I can't really offer a final answer to your question.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report