Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Orient multileader block to layout viewport

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
1284 Views, 9 Replies

Orient multileader block to layout viewport

Looks like this has a few work-arounds from years past but nothing recent and none actually address what I want. 

Goal: Have a custom made block (Callout Tag) orient automatically in viewports of varying WCS orientations.

Context:

• I created a block (drawing attached) Called Callout Hexagon.
  • Geometry and hatches all Layers=0 some varying hatches with absolute colors to mask the back ground.
  • Created an Attribute Definition with text style settings: "Annotative"=[checked], "Match Text Orientation to Layout"=[Checked], "Paper Text Height"=0.
  • Set justify Middle Center and placed Attribute definition in center of hexagon.
  • Create block with Annotative=[Not Checked] Scale Uniformly= [Checked], etc...
  • Create New Multileader: Content = Block, Source Block=Callout Hexagon, Scale-Annotative=[Checked], etc...
  • Create New Layouts with multiple viewports oriented to economize space using MVSETUP command.
  • Set UCS=View

Problem: I have viewports of differing orientations that will have overlapping views of the same Callout Tag. If I create a Multileader with a block then the orientation of the block and text is permanently oriented to the orientation of the viewport from which it was created. Thus negating the possibility of having the same callout tag in differing viewports.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Until someone comes up with an actual solution, I'm just going to kluj redundant multileaders with different layers corresponding to the viewport and then doing a viewport freeze on the multileader layers with the incorrect orientation per viewport. Also, to rant, I can't believe this has been an issue for over 13 years now and Autodesk still hasn't looked into it.

Message 3 of 10
wfberry

Perhaps you could use some kind of Civil 3D object that will orient with the  viewport.

Bill

Message 4 of 10
Neilw_05
in reply to: wfberry

As far as I know, most people don't have a problem reading a label that is not rotated perfectly to the view. The only ones who care are a_n_a_l project managers and engineers. Their insistence on perfection often requires breaking the dynamic relationships in the models and time consuming manual labor which needlessly drive up the cost to produce the drawings.

Just had to rant.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

If you were to use the Sheet Set Manager paradigm and work flow they would be linked to fields and places in paper space thus ending the rotation problem and or redundancy 

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Neilw_05

I am that A_N_A_L project manager! I expect full control, ease of use and speedy implementation. Also it's a safety issue really, don't want people to get eating to many tacos neck syndrome d:

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

I have admittedly not looked into that particular workflow yet. That sounds like my next avenue of inquiry. Thank you for the suggestion. I will mark this as a solution if it works out.

Message 8 of 10
MMcCall402

Leverage the behavior annotative objects.

Annotative objects will automatically resize to the current scale and can be displayed in different locations and orientations for that scale.

The 'scale' referenced is by name only, so, multiple scales of varying names can have the same scale properties.

Now assign one of these scales to each of the viewports.

Edit the orientation and location of the text in each viewport and each one will act as if they are unique to that viewport, yet their content edits as one.

Update: This works for Mtext and multileaders  .... provided the multileader doesn't include a block.  For some reason a multileader with a block doesn't have a rotation property.

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: MMcCall402

I know, so close. It's a total catch-22. That's why I ranted previously. I will have to kluj it for this project. Deadline is getting too close for learning a new workflow. May be a while before I can test the sheet set manager paradigm out. 

Message 10 of 10
wpagl452

Have you considered building a general note label style to mimic your mleader? You can set the orientation reference to view to have them automatically rotate. There are some limitations to note labels though but they may be enough for your purposes.

All the best,
Winston

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report