Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network License Manager

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
1142 Views, 13 Replies

Network License Manager

Hello,

We have a new and updated server and are installing the 2015 Network License Manager software on the server. A number of network license AutoCAD users have 2010 and 2013 Civil 3D versions on their computer and would like to keep using these versions. Is there anything that needs to be done to link these previous versions to the Network License Manager once it is active?

Thanks for your time.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
rkmcswain
in reply to: Anonymous

If you have the version of the NLM that supports 2015, it will hand out valid licenses for 2013 and 2010 also.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: rkmcswain

Thanks for the reply! Would that work for NLM 2017 as well? If that newest version is installed, would there be valid licenses for 2010 and 2013?
Message 4 of 14
rkmcswain

Yes, current versions always support serving up valid licenses for older clients. (Note that I said valid licenses. For example, if your license file does not include licenses for 2010, then no version of the NLM will allow 2010 to work)

Strangely, version 11.12.0.0 (a pre-2017 version) was able to serve up 2017 licenses, but there is really no reason to not install the latest.

See also: http://cadpanacea.com/wp/?p=1684

Message 5 of 14
AllenJessup

Unless your new server has the same physical address as your old one. You will need to get a new license file. The license file should support your current version of the software and 3 previous versions if you're on Maintenance (Subscription). So what your users will be able to run will depend on what your current version of the software is.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 14
rkmcswain
in reply to: AllenJessup

AllenJessup wrote:

The license file should support your current version of the software and 3 previous versions. So what your users will be able to run will depend on what your current version of the software is.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "3 versions back" part is only true for products on subscription/maintenance.

Also, if @Anonymous has valid licenses for 2010 and 2013, those will also run too, right?

There is no reason he/she can't keep running any perpetual license, provided it wasn't upgraded at some point.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

Thanks for the responses. Would we be able to add/combine a 2013 license file to the new license file so the users with 2013 would be able to access the network licenses?
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous

We do have a subscription with AutoCAD.
Message 9 of 14
AllenJessup

@rkmcswain wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "3 versions back" part is only true for products on subscription/maintenance.

You're correct. I'd already edited my post to reflect that. Anyone should be able to get a new license file for any perpetual network license. If not on subscription it will only be valid for the latest release they have.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 14
AllenJessup

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for the responses. Would we be able to add/combine a 2013 license file to the new license file so the users with 2013 would be able to access the network licenses?

Not if it's from the old server with a different physical address. I'm presuming that if you're on Subscription you're most current version is 2017. You can request a license file for an older version. But it's more difficult than getting the regular license file. Do you have a reseller who can help you out? 

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

Yes, I've reached out to a reseller this morning and haven't heard back yet. If they are able to generate a license file for 2013, we then combine with the newly created license file. Is that correct?
Message 12 of 14
AllenJessup

Yes. Or you could ask them to do it. That's my yearly request to our reseller. We keep a license of LDTC2009 going for converting very old jobs.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 13 of 14
rkmcswain

Only if

(A) You bought that 2013 and never did anything with it as far as subscription/maintenance/upgrades.

-OR-

(B) You get your reseller to make a special request to Autodesk to run 2013 as a "previous version" and they get the approval and generate the proper license. Your reseller can answer all of these questions and make the LIC file for you. If they can't or won't - then shop for a new reseller.

See also:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/customer-service/account-management/software-downloads/previous-versi...

Message 14 of 14
AllenJessup

Thanks. The link I had was outdated. @Anonymous In the table in that link - remember that Subscription is now called Maintenance and Subscription now means rental. You need perpetual network licensed on Maintenance to run previous versions.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report