Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved a drawing into a Civil 3D from Map 3D

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
265 Views, 3 Replies

Moved a drawing into a Civil 3D from Map 3D

I created a wetlands map in Map 3d, using US48 as a coord system in Map 3D. I then converted the map to DWG format. I am trying to use it as an XREF for the project I am doing. The project has no survey data or topography yet, but the xref'd map seems to have found its place in space anyway. i cannot get the Aerial topography from Autodesk 360 to display. Is the server down, or do I need to find a coordinate system prior to my surveyor finishing the topo?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Pointdump
in reply to: Anonymous

"...do I need to find a coordinate system prior to my surveyor finishing the topo?"

At some point, yes. Your surveyor probably won't be using US48 as a coordinate system for his points.

"I then converted the map to DWG format."

What do you mean "converted"? Both Civil 3D and Map 3D are DWG format.

"...the xref'd map seems to have found its place in space anyway."

Interesting. I've never tried to use Bing Live Maps with an XREF. To handle any coordinate conversion between US48 and your ultimate coordinate system, it might be better to attach your drawing from Map 3D.

Please post your drawing from Map 3D.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Pointdump

Point Dump,
I agree that I might be ahead of the game here, and would not even be using Map 3D if it weren't for the USFWS supplying shape files and metadata thru their website for wetlands and watersheds. I have just scratched the surface enough to be dangerous.

Even though the drawing formats are the same, the object types are not the same within the DWG formats. I saved the Map 3d imported data to dwg type objects (shp file to polyline and fill).

As for the xref'd map, I can only assume that it is located in the right place, as the Bing topo will not turn on. I was actually thinking that maybe the server was off-line, or the fact that the drawing in Map 3D had its own coordinates and landed "spot on" with the aerial, that it might be in the proper place.

I am not really busy now, as I am waiting on the survey. I guess I will continue to do so. No big deal. I have a lot to learn about the Civil 3D and Map 3D softwares.

Regards,
Robert Rudstrom
Civil Design/Draft
5201 North Washington Street
Grand Forks, ND 58203
t. 701.772.7667 f. 701.738.0265 direct 701.738.0265
www.rrcontracting.net
[cid:32A05485-A8EE-46CB-802C-6702F05908D9]
Message 4 of 4
Pointdump
in reply to: Anonymous

Robert,

I love the freely available shape files you can find now. Try this:
Drag-n-drop one of your shape files into a new, blank drawing. Then turn on Bing Live Maps.

Here's a really good, cut-to-the-chase, 34-minute video that shows all the ins and outs of coordinate transformations with shape files:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7HW6apnh3g

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report