Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ITEM GEOMETRY IS ALREADY IN THIS NAMED COLLECTION

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
nostupidquestions
666 Views, 16 Replies

ITEM GEOMETRY IS ALREADY IN THIS NAMED COLLECTION

i keep getting this message when i try to import a shp file. thoughts?

Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-2245 CPU @ 3.90GHz 3.91 GHz
64 GB RAM
C3D 2023.2
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

I'm thinking I'd like to see a screen shot of that message. Also, please post your Shapefile. (Zip 'em together)

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 17

thanks for looking at this

64 GB RAM
C3D 2023.2
Message 4 of 17

It looks like there was once a solution in the Knowledge network. But the links broken.

AllenJessup_0-1623424480461.png

It sounds to me that Map thinks that geometry has already been imported. Can you import the shape into a new drawing? If not. I'd think there is a duplication in the shape file itself. 

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 17

I had no problem importing it into a new drawing created from our template. Using Civil 3D 2021.2 on Map 2021.01.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 17

Carl,
Before even dragging it into C3D I see a problem. You're missing the DBF and PRJ files, and the .lock and .xml files are head-scratchers. I think they might be the source of the problem.
I'll investigate further.
Dave

Points_1.png

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 7 of 17

OOPS. those files didn't get zipped up for some reason. i've rezipped and attached them.

64 GB RAM
C3D 2023.2
Message 8 of 17

Carl,
The XML file mentioned >>>EPSG:2883<<< (Florida Panhandle), so I added that PRJ file and also a DBF file(empty). I deleted the 2 files that I think are causing the problem.
Attached.
Dave

Points_2.png

Points_3.png

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 9 of 17
AllenJessup
in reply to: Pointdump

@Pointdump 

It's likely there was an sr.lock file because the shape was either open in or generated by ArcGIS or not properly deleted by ArcGIS when it closed. It looks like they are the equivalent of an Autodesk DWL file.

I saw there was no DBF. But I used MAPIMPORT and got the points into a new drawing.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 10 of 17
AllenJessup

Dave,

When I imported the points a DBF and an IDX file were created. No PRJ file though.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 11 of 17

weird. i deleted those 2 files with no luck. there's several shape files in our folder for pipes and points. the pipe files import but not the point files. it won't work on my coworker's computer either. i'll see if i can get  different file from the gis people. 

64 GB RAM
C3D 2023.2
Message 12 of 17
ChicagoLooper

The lock file indicates the data is being editing. I'm guessing someone in ArcMap or Arc Catalog has the file open and is making edits.

<<This is similar to, but not the same as, attaching a dwg to the Map Exporer Tab of the Map Task Pane. No one is permitted to open the attached dwg unitl the file is either deactivated or detached from the Task Pane.>>  

Could be th OP (or someone in his office) is making edits then copied and uploaded the files to the forum.

Chicagolooper
Message 13 of 17

Carl,
There's a lot of really important data in the DBF file, pipe and grate inlets, etc.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 14 of 17

When you say 'import' do you mean you are using MAPIMPORT to import the shapefile? Do you mean you are NOT using a Data Connection? Please explain. Please elaborate. Please be ultra-clear and overly generous with details. Using the term import means different things to different users performing different operations so its ambiguous to the forum reader even though it's perfectly clear to you.

If you're using MAPIMPORT command, you can open a brand new, clean imperial template then try the MAPIMPORT procedure again. Does that message appear? If it doesn't then you'll need to disclose more info, much, much more because there's something in your current crawing that's conflicting with the new 'data' that's being imported and this can be considered a 'data' issue not a system variable issue, not a comman type of issue but a data issue.

Chicagolooper
Message 15 of 17

yes, mapimport into a brand new drawing. the files are from another company so no one is editing them. 

64 GB RAM
C3D 2023.2
Message 16 of 17

Carl,
This baffles me. I thought I'd re-do the Shapefile. I opened the DBF file in Excel and converted it to a CSV file. Then in QGIS I used that CSV file to create a Point Shapefile with all the data. Re-saved. Didn't work--I still get that message.

This is the first time I've run across anything like this.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 17 of 17

OK, I understand no one is editing the shapefile at your firm, but the files are still from another company, not yours.

Can you verify whether someone was editing the shapefile the moment a copy was made in order to email to you?  Recommend you contact the sender and inform them you need a minimum of four files: shp, shx, dbf and prj. (BTW, if you didn't get the four files and you got a 'bonus' lock file (SMH), I suspect the sender has no clue how to send DATA to begin with, so you'd be better off asking a bonafide GIS user to send the files, not just any ol' person.)

Getting the wrong data or incomplete data could bite you in the you-know-what later on. Good luck to you. Hope it works out.

Chicagolooper

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report