Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INSERTING POINTS OR BLOCKS

75 REPLIES 75
SOLVED
Message 1 of 76
ESchomberg
2985 Views, 75 Replies

INSERTING POINTS OR BLOCKS

HI guys, I have never really figured this one out.

If I am in a drawing and I insert a block, it always asks me to pick insertion point or gives options like base point. No matter which choice I pick(such as choose insertion point) I click on the screen and it does not appear. I zoom way out and it always inserts it miles away from my drawing, so I have to click on it, and move it to my drawing. Why can I not insert points or blocks and have them inserted into my drawing instead of inserting them in outer space?

I know the guys where I work(we always use state plane coordinates and they told me that when they insert something in the drawing they use 0,0 as a base point and then 0,0 as an insertion point. Well I normally do not draw in state plane coordinates. There is something I am not understanding about the insertion command.

I did however just create a scale bar in paper space and saved it as a block. When I typed insert and made the scale bar selection it brought up the scale bar instantly and allowed me to pick exactly where I wanted to put it. That is Golden!!!!!!! but why can I not do the same thing in model space????

75 REPLIES 75
Message 41 of 76
ESchomberg
in reply to: ESchomberg

Message 42 of 76
ESchomberg

As you can see, I am totally lost in this area.

Message 43 of 76
Pointdump

Hey Erik,

You're doing great with Screencast! I'll have to finish watching them all in the morning. Can you post your drawing with the points and legend? I'd like to nose around.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 44 of 76
ESchomberg

Absolutely!! I totally meant to do that.
Message 45 of 76
ESchomberg
in reply to: Pointdump

Anyone of you guys are more than welcome to nose around in my drawing, you guys are better than the geek squad hehe. I understand drawing and land surveying completely, including coordinates, but this whole block insert thing has me feeling like someone exploring the Universe for the first time. I know it has to be real simple(with exception that there are normally 10 different ways to do the same thing in civil3d) It is just a matter of maybe some screen casts showing me various, and correct ways of doing what I am doing the hard way.

Message 46 of 76
doni49

Here are a couple links you might find helpful.

http://www.archblocks.com/free-autocad-tutorials/how-to-create-blocks-in-autocad

http://www.mycadsite.com/tutorials/level_2/blocks-in-autocad-2-2.htm

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 47 of 76
doni49

Also go back and re-read troma's post where talks about the "little block world".

A block is basically a separate drawing within your drawing. Within that inner drawing, you have a 0,0,0 location. Whenever you insert your block (aka inner drawing) the block's insertion point will be that 0,0,0 location.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 48 of 76
doni49

Here's a pretty well done video tutorial on blocks.

https://youtu.be/jzlDouas0Wc

Don Ireland

Message 49 of 76
Pointdump

Erik,

Here's what I see. I grabbed your "Legend" block and opened it in Block Editor:

Erik_Block_4.png

So when you _INSERT that block, no effing wonder it ends up in Cartagena:

Erik_Block_3.png

This whole block thing is not intuitive, and every AutoCAD user has struggled with this Base Point/Insertion concept.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 50 of 76
Pointdump

Erik,

Some wierdness in your "Legends" block. When I tried to _MOVE the lower lefthand corner to 0,0,0 in the Block Editor it ended up somewhere other than 0,0,0. So I made a basepoint at 0,0,0 and moved the legend to the basepoint and saved the block. If you do this to any of your rebel blocks they will behave better.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 51 of 76
ESchomberg

I did re read Don's post. I just couldn't quite figure out exactly what to do.
Message 52 of 76
ESchomberg

I hope you screen casted it for me Dave, lol. I need lots of help with this one. It is sooooo confusing to me. I'm on my phone so I can't really see your whole reply.
Message 53 of 76
doni49

@ESchomberg wrote:
I did re read Don's post. I just couldn't quite figure out exactly what to do.

Let's try this from a different angle then.  Type in WBLOCK.

In the resulting dialog, choose one of your problem blocks from the list (it should look similar to the following image), choose a "Destination" at the bottom of the dialog.  This will create a separate dwg file out of your block.

Now open the dwg file.  Where are the elements relative to 0,0,0?  See how far away it is? 

Don Ireland

Message 54 of 76
doni49

@ESchomberg wrote:
I hope you screen casted it for me Dave, lol. I need lots of help with this one. It is sooooo confusing to me. I'm on my phone so I can't really see your whole reply.

Take look at the youtube video link above -- it does an excellent job of explaining how they work.

Don Ireland

Message 55 of 76
ESchomberg

Will try... If there is more than one way to do this, I am all ears.
Message 56 of 76
doni49
in reply to: doni49

I can't install the screencast software but I do have access to screencapture software.  I was able to reproduce what you're experiencing and I think when you watch the attached video, you might be able to understand what's going on.

I started out with nothing but a circle along with an arrow pointing to the center pt of the circle.  Then I created a block called __Test with it's Base Point at the center of the circle -- the block contains the circle as it's only element.  Then placed two instances of the block.

Next I started redefining the __Test block by selecting the same circle as its only element but with varying Base Points (I've kept them NEAR the center point).  Notice how the blocks appear to be moving?  That's only because the Base Point within the block is at varying locations -- the blocks themselves haven't moved.

Also -- here's a copy of the dwg file I used in this example.

Don Ireland

Message 57 of 76
Pointdump
in reply to: doni49

Don,

What is the "AVI" file? What opens it?

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 58 of 76
ESchomberg

OMG Dave, I'm gonna have to watch that again!

Message 59 of 76
ESchomberg

OMG, Dave. It took me a long time to figure out what you were doing and how you were doing it. I finally figured it out, but wow what a pain in the ankle!! I Also think it must be template sensitive because If I set the block to zero and open one of my earlier drawings from another template I have to re do the process. And then If I go back to my current template, I have to redo it again. So I am definitely thinking this is a process that I need to be familiar with enough to re define where 0,0,0 is in different drawings or templates. I might be wrong about what I am saying, but you definately  gave me a great starting point. It was exhausting and I did not even get to watch the you tube videos or study the other options from the other contributors yet.

I hope you guys bare with me on this one, this has been one of my most confusing things to understand. Drawing is really pretty simple, understanding how this program works is what is difficult. I would like to keep this post open until I fully understand most aspects of creating and inserting blocks. I say that because If I am having this much trouble understanding it, then chances are lots of other people are as well.

Message 60 of 76
doni49

Avi file = a movie file that Windows Media Player can play.

Don Ireland

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report