Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing Mr SID or TIF

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
longislandengineeringllc
2347 Views, 8 Replies

Importing Mr SID or TIF

Hello.  Today I tried importing mr .SID and a .tiff file.  I am working in a county coordinate system.  The MR. SID file is located in NAD UTM Zone 15 N.  At the very end of the .prj file the description also says Meter.  When I import this file it does not come in correctly.  What are the proper steps for importing .sid?

Similar situation with a geotiff.  Geotiff was in a known county coordinate system, but the drawing I received from another firm was in a different coordinate system.  How do I import geotiff into a different coordinate system?  

Thank you

TG

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Hi Todd,
If the image is in a different coordinate system than your drawing, you'll need to use Raster Tools IINSERT or Map Tools MAPCONNECT.
MAPIINSERT won't transform an image.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 9

The Raster tool did not work either (IINSERT).  I have not tried mapconnect.  Am I able to plot the image using the mapconnect?  I am not familiar with the mapconnect.

Thanks!

TG

Message 4 of 9

Todd,
What didn't work with IINSERT? Screen shots please. Even better, post the MrSID and GeoTiff. If they're large, you might need to use WeTransfer or OneDrive, etc.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 5 of 9

MapConnect is the easiest and probably the most misunderstood. Yes, you can print using MapConnect and if you can't then it's due to user error.

Using MapConnect. Bing aerial imagery in the background.Using MapConnect. Bing aerial imagery in the background.

You can also use MAPIINSERT command. Or from the ribbon go to Planning & Analysis workspace>>Insert tab>>Import panel>>Image Icon.

Image-1Image-1

In the Insert Image window, change 'Files of Type' to MrSid (*sid) then Browse to and select your image. Click OPEN. Be sure to check the Modify box so you can transform from UTM projection to State Plane Projection.

Image-2.Image-2.

The next window has two tabs. Make your selections using the images below as your guide.

Image-3.Image-3.

Chicagolooper
Message 6 of 9

Until you clip a viewport, from my experience.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 9

In addition to what the others have stated, be sure to set your AutoCAD units to the proper foot. Remember, Autodesk added US Survey Foot as a unit to core AutoCAD, so the old Foot is now international foot. Not sure why Autodesk doesn't have C3D's units automatically match/change the ACAD unit, but it's something I've been noticing lately where companies aren't realizing that core ACAD added US Survey foot as a unit.

C3D 2022-2025
Windows 11
32GB RAM
Message 8 of 9

Thank you for the detailed info.  The data connect worked.  However that method really slowed down the file.  Every time I panned or moved I get the status bar and executing query popping up.  

The IINSERT did not work for the geotiff.  The MAPIINSERT did work for the geotiff as long as I did not have the modify correlation selected.  If I modified the correlation then the geotiff never imported correctly.  

Thanks for your help.

TG

Message 9 of 9

If panning and zoooming is slowing you down when using a Data Connection then it means two things:

1. You are panning/zooming around which means you are 'flying over' unnecessary parts of the image that you don't need.
  2. You can benefit by reducing-the-coverage of your image.  

To reduce the size of the image and gain better modelspace mobility, zoom-in on your image (focus on your site) so the important part of the image fills up modelspace. Make sure the area of coverage is enough (or slightly more than enough) to fill up your viewport, otherwise you'll have a 'blank' area when you plot. Next, in the Map Task Pane, right-click your image and select Resample Raster from the shortcut menu. Zoom-out and you'll notice the parts of the image that was offscreen will not be displayed, therefore your panning and zooming will no longer have to regen such a big image--the regen is what slows you down. If you wish to return the image to its original size, zoom-out, way out, then right-click and resample again. 

Chicagolooper

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report