Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to update X section view group after extending station/chainage range of related sample line group?

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
SamAtNZ
594 Views, 12 Replies

How to update X section view group after extending station/chainage range of related sample line group?

Hi Team,

I have a Sample Line Group(SLG) and a X Section View Group based on it.

The station/chainage range of the SLG was, say, 500 ~ 1500.   Now I am being asked to change it to, say,  0~1000.

It is to say, I am extending it from 500~0, and cutting off the back part of 1000~1500.

I successfully updated the SLG to 0~1000 after a couple tries.

However, the X Section View Group only updated for shortening 1000~1500, and refuse to add the part of newly extended 0~500.

Means, it is 500~1000 now instead of 0~1000.

I did some research and found the post of below and it did not work for me.

Adding a Cross section to a Section View Group doesn't work - Autodesk Community - Civil 3D

I did create a new X section view group and had to reset up all the labels, re-projecting all the elements. Such a pain.

So I am seeking a way to avoid that for the future.

Very much appreciate for any ideas or suggestions, thank you!

Labels (1)
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
MSchille-1994
in reply to: SamAtNZ

you could take the 500 cross section and copy it however many time you need.  Doing this will copy the sample line on top of itself, but you can select it, (500 (1)), and change the station to whatever value you want.  I do this all the time.  If you need 5 additional ones, copy the sample line nearest to where you need more and copy it 5 times, then just select each one and change the station value.  Then go over to your cross section views and select one of them and click on "Update View Group" on the ribbon.

Attitude, not Aptitude, Determines Altitude
Message 3 of 13
SamAtNZ
in reply to: MSchille-1994

Thank you @MSchille-1994  for yor help.

Manually adding sample line seems suitable for samll amount.

Hoep we have a more convenient way for adjusting it as well as the section views.

Message 4 of 13
SamAtNZ

Hi @MSchille-1994 , sorry I didn't read your solution carefully. I thought you talked about copying sample lines.

I am trying now and let you know if it works for me.

Things I found:

• By saying "copy" section views, means "CO" command in C3D instead of Ctrl + C
  • Better to select all the section views you would like to copy, for example 500 section views here.   It would make changing station value of the new sample lines much easier.

Thank you!

Message 5 of 13
SamAtNZ

OK it works, however, do we have a faster way to change the staion value of the new sample lines?

Currently I select them from Toolspace, then change the value in their properties 1 by 1.

Every time it works quite a while to reflect the changes...

if you have 500 sample line, it would be quite a time consuming. 

SamAtNZ_0-1692939976196.png

Message 6 of 13
MSchille-1994

Glad this worked for you.  Yeah, usually I get my sample lines about 98% correct when I initially create the sample line group, and then I usually have to add a few as the project progresses on.  If something majorly changes, it usually warrants a new sample line group anyways, so I just create a new group.

Message 7 of 13
SamAtNZ

Thank you @MSchille-1994 , it's a great idea to re do the sample line group. I usually do so until the work recently that I was asked to keep everything of section view grop (style, bands, projections) as it was, so it's some work to re created all this and keep them look like the same as before.  

That is the reason why I try to modify the sample lines instead of re create it.

Again, thank you for your great idea and time!

Message 8 of 13
SamAtNZ

Hi @MSchille-1994 , just let you know I am trying to use your diea today for the extension of my sample lines.

unfortuntely I am finding the newly added section views do NOT apply the existing styles of other section view like below show.

Blue ones are existing and Red ones are newly added.  You can see clearly they are different.

New ones remain C3D default style which made adding sample line meaningless

Any way your idea is great if we don't set any specific style on the section views. 

Very very dissapointed with C3D, it can be better for user to edit existing elements not repeating everything

SamAtNZ_0-1694144187800.png

Message 9 of 13
MSchille-1994

@SamAtNZ you can change the section view, can you not?  Match Properties may also work as well.  Is that not what you are referring to?

Message 10 of 13
SamAtNZ

Thank you, I don't remember Match command works for Civil 3D objects, I think it only works for Autocad elements.

I recreated sample lines but newly added ones did not created section views for me.
So I created a new x section view groups for those newly added sample lines. Apply same styles to them and "move to another section view group" to the old section view group.

However, I am struglling on another issue: the newly added sample lines are sampling another surface, disaster....
I am thinking to merge 2 surfaces to 1.
Message 11 of 13
MSchille-1994

Yes, Match properties does work on many Civil 3D objects for matching styles, I use it all the time.  

As for adding sample lines to an existing group, you should be able to use the AutoCAD Copy command, select a sample line, pick a basepoint, pick a second base point, and it waill copy that sample line on top of itself.  Thus, if you have a sample line with a label of "5+25.00", there will be another sample line on top of it labeled "5+25.00 (1)".  Then just select the sample line and grip edit it to it's new location.

Is that not working for you?  Can you send me your drawing?      mschille@fmgengineering.com

Message 12 of 13
SamAtNZ

Thank you very much I will try MA later.
Copy&paste sample lines works for me, however changing station will have to do 1 by 1 and every time it takes ages for c3d to reflect on the sample line. I have 60 sample lines to do.

Also I have new surface to deal with which brings new challenges.

Thanks again and sorry the dwg can not be shared by policy.

I keep working on it hopefully to find some solution and i will share back here.

Regards

Message 13 of 13
SamAtNZ

According to my experience recently,  I suggest you to add Xsec views by copy(CAD command) sample line if you have less than 10 sample lines to be added. 

However, if you have more than 10 sample line to be added, I strongly suggest you to re do sample lines and re generate Xsec View group. It's far far faster I promise you.

A tip is save style set for later use.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report