Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to enter a carriage return in a Sheet Set titleblock field?

32 REPLIES 32
Message 1 of 33
jeff_rivers
3089 Views, 32 Replies

How to enter a carriage return in a Sheet Set titleblock field?

My titleblock uses sheet set fields for all the text entries now, and the sheet title is multiline text tied to the Sheet Title field.  For one sheet the actual sheet title is too long for the first line so it wraps down to the second line automatically.  Great so far, except that the break where it wraps is at an awkward place with respect to the text.  Is there a way to code a hard linebreak into a Sheet Set field?  

That is, what I get is:

PEDESTRIAN BEACON AT 117TH ST

W

What I'd rather see is: 

PEDESTRIAN BEACON 

AT 117TH ST W

I tried using the /P but Sheet Set manager really doesn't like that. So as a workaround I put a bunch of spaces in the sheet title to move the linebreak where I want it to be but that seems crude.  Is there a way to code a linebreak into a sheet set title where I want it to be?    

Jeffrey Rivers
Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel i9 3.7GHz, 64 GB
NVIDIA RTX A4000
C3D 2020 V13.2.89.0
32 REPLIES 32
Message 21 of 33
MMcCall402
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

In your previous post on this you were using the the width of the attribute to invoke the line shifts with the auto-wrap abilities of a multi-lined attribute. The attribute text will only auto-wrap where there is a space between words as it won't break up a word and put pieces of it one two different lines.  If a non-breaking space is placed between two words the auto-wrap will treat them as one single word and keep them on the same line.  My thought was to use this behavior to control when a line shift, auto-wrap, is applied.

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 22 of 33
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: MMcCall402

Thanks for sticking with me.

Sounds interesting. Did you try? Wouldn’t that default width will effect all the titles in the sheet set? 

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 23 of 33
Hidden_Brain
in reply to: MMcCall402

you guys are geniuses! i did it using your and Joe's idea, see below. big red arrows are where i used Alt+0160 to fake a blank, the rest are regular spaces. thank you many, I owe you both a beer!

wrap1.pngwrap2.png

Message 24 of 33
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Hidden_Brain

@MMcCall402 & @Hidden_Brain 

Beautiful! Much better than a special field

That going in the book for later.

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 25 of 33
cwr-pae
in reply to: jeff_rivers

It doesn't solve all you issues, but try this and see if it helps with some of the setting up of the title block. Create a custom field in your SSM with some default text, add a carriage return in a multiline block attribute after your title field link, and link the new field in the new line. After setting up enter \U+0000 (null character) in the SSM for that field and regen the dwg, you should see the multiline attribute convert to a single line. Enter the text you want in the SSM field and regen, you should now have that text in a second line. With setting the attribute width you should be able to have the added field for a 3rd row when needed and not when you don't need it with out having to manually change attribute contents.

Note this works to have only one line come and go, if you use 2 returns and fields only the last line disappears even if. Also if you edit the attribute with the null character in it, it will disappear, so you have to change the ssm field to some text before editing the attributes. The null character also works if you have 3 fields in a single one line attribute and want the middle field to not show as a space when its not being used.

Message 26 of 33
Crass
in reply to: Hidden_Brain

Hi, I know this is a slightly old discussion but I have the same issue. I wasn't able to follow everything here. When I type Alt+0160 in my SSM property in a line of text it is not producing a carriage return like shown in your screenshot. Am I missing a step?

Thanks a lot

-----
AutoCAD 2018/2021
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2021
Message 27 of 33
MMcCall402
in reply to: Crass

Press the ALT key and hold it, type 0160, then release the ALT key. An invisible character will be added to the line of text that will appear like a space. This invisible character will space two words apart from each other but they will act as if they're one.

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 28 of 33
ChrisRS

This concept is kind of backwards.

Setting a narrow test width allows a non-breaking space to function as a regular-space,

and a regular space act as a carriage-return or new-line character.

To illustrate, I will use
an underscore (_) to represent a non-breaking space
and an Asterisk (*) to represent a regular space.

|--| narrow width

This_is_Line_ One*This_is_Line_Two*This_is_Line_ Three

displays as:

This_is_Line_ One*

This_is_Line_Two*

This_is_Line_ Three   

Christopher Stevens

EESignature

Message 29 of 33
Crass
in reply to: ChrisRS

Thanks for the explanation. I missed the "backwards" part. So you would you ALT+0160 to create spaces between words except where a line break is acceptable, and there you would use a regular space bar space. You will still need to manually resize your multi-line ATTDEF to create the desired effect, correct?

-----
AutoCAD 2018/2021
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2021
Message 30 of 33
kisiel1mk

Hi @Crass  and everybody!
Great topic, looking for that solution for a long time!
Also, the width of attribute text can be controlled also by setting Boundary Width in Block Attribute Manager

(BATTMAN > Edit). Depending on the length of word, for example for me the value 60 works fine for 5-character words.

Please use *Mark Solutions!* Accept as Solution and Give *Kudos* as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 31 of 33
tedhaynie

The "Alt+0160" works great.

Thanks to all that contributed to the solution.

Message 32 of 33
risaacs5ADLD

I have been struggling with the same issue. The only way my team can deal with this is to just accept that the text will look funny somewhere in the project drawings. We add a bunch of spaces in the sheet name so the MTEXT will break where we want it.... but then it looks funny when you insert the sheet list table.
This is what I want on the Sheet:

risaacs5ADLD_0-1651759864621.png

This is what I have to accept:

risaacs5ADLD_1-1651760392590.png

The image above is not really an issue because the client won't see it, but they will see this weirdness on the sheet list table:

risaacs5ADLD_3-1651761216253.png

And it's unwise to do anything else because if there are any changes, there would just be a lot of double checking or updating to fix it. This project in particular has over 40 pages.

Message 33 of 33
ChrisRS
in reply to: risaacs5ADLD

I'm still a fan of the suggestion made in post 17 by @MMcCall402 

There is further explanation in several of the subsequent comments.

Since the non-breaking spaces look the same as regular spaces, things will look normal in the sheet list. 

Make each "Line" a single "Long Word" by using non-breaking spaces (Crtl+0160).

Use a regular space as a line Seperator.

The field container should be narrow. Even at 0 width the "Long Words" will not be broken.

You do not want the container to be wider than any short "Long Words" to avoid forcing 2 "Long Words" onto a single line.

Good Luck!

Christopher Stevens

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report