Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to calculate the volume for two both semi circulare sides in break water?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
giscivil92
204 Views, 4 Replies

How to calculate the volume for two both semi circulare sides in break water?

Hello Everyone

I created a break water in the subassembly composer.

Could you guide me on calculating the volume for two semi-circular sides in break water, please!?

Thanks guys

giscivil92_0-1720758152307.png

giscivil92_1-1720758200272.png

Labels (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
giscivil92
in reply to: giscivil92

about this issue

I have not received any ideas or solutions about this case so far!

Message 3 of 5
camden.n.dean

Do you already have those round ends modeled? I usually have to do that with a separate baseline and subassembly. If you already have them modeled with the corridor tools, then you have a few options.

1. Volumes of solids

2. Volume surfaces

3. Hand calculation

If you just need the volumes of the shapes that we see in your subassembly, you can extract corridor solids and find the volume of those solids. This is the easiest method in my opinion. Here is an example workflow:

1. Select corridor

2. From the contextual corridor ribbon → corridor tool→ extract corridor solids

camdenndean_0-1721759368341.png

3. Follow the prompts at the command line. Select the regions you want (hit enter), select the shape codes you want to extract (hit next), optionally provide property data (hit next), select output options (hit Extract Solids).

4. Now that you have the 3D solid in your drawing, just use MASSPROP to find the volume. Attached is an example of this step.

If you need to compare your design to Existing Ground (or some other surface), then you'll need to make corridor surface of each of your TOP and DATUM surfaces. This method works even if you don't need to compare to EG, but it is considerably more work than extracting the corridor solids imo.

If neither of these work well for you, consider just doing a hand calc. You'll probably need the volume formula for a frustum or a ring depending on the assumptions you're making.

Message 4 of 5
giscivil92
in reply to: camden.n.dean

@camden.n.dean 

Thank you for sharing your idea!

Actually I'd like to use option 2: because I created a custom subassembly and used a corridor to model the B.W

So it should be better and well-organized to define two separated subassemblies for two semi-circular parts as two separated baselines and then calculate quantities.

I watched your video and took an idea and I appreciate it, 
Could you please share your drawing before you explode the corridor?

Thanks 

Message 5 of 5
camden.n.dean

You're welcome! I've posted to the forums a bunch, but I haven't seen anyone else post about coastal structures - mostly site design and roadway posts.

I'm not sure I totally understand your question. I never need to explode my corridor. I extracted the pieces that make up the round head as 3D solids. (Note that these still maintain a dynamic link to the corridor though, which is awesome.)

As far as organizing the corridor, if your heads are both the same, you can just use the same subassembly for each. You'll need to add 2 baselines (one for each end), and each should be their own region, but I don't see a need for an extra subassembly.

If you need to use volume surfaces, the workflow is considerably different from what I outlined above. I can help explain that if necessary.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report