Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expression for displaying difference in elevation

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
521 Views, 4 Replies

Expression for displaying difference in elevation

Hi,

I am tried doing a search through the forum and also online.

I'm currently trying to understand the process to create a label which displays the difference in elevation between two cogo points. I've tried it a couple of different ways with both a line between the two points and using the points themselves.

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I feel that I'm not asking the question properly so my results aren't tailored to what I need.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
AllenJessup
in reply to: Anonymous

I don't think I've seen this asked before. I don't know of a way to do specifically what you're asking. Usually when the difference in elevation is needed it's between 2 Surfaces. For that you create a Volume Surface and label that Surface. You could use that method and label at the point where you're 2 cogo points overlap.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
jmayo-EE

You can use a line label with an expression to get the dwlta z on any line segement. THis will not work from start to end on a nmultisegment 3dpoly, feature line or figure. It only works on a 3d line or any single segement of a feature line or figure. The ABS (absolute value function is optional. ABS({General Segment End Z}-{General Segment Start Z})

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
AllenJessup

I knew the method John mentioned (because he taught me) but I didn't know the Expression. One thing to mention is that if the points aren't directly over each other is to create the line or Featureline on a NoPlot layer or use a non-plotting color.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Jmayo,

This sounds like a solution which will work. I am not using a surface because building the surface will take alot more time and won't benefit us in any other situation. Using point to point (or start and end of line) is ideal due to the number of points which all vary.

My understanding is that this expression should fall under: settings-> general->label styles->line ?

Thanks to jmayo and AllenJessup for looking at this.

P.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report