Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Existing vs Proposed Pipes

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
666 Views, 10 Replies

Existing vs Proposed Pipes

I'm a bit of a Civil 3D newbie.  I've got a project that involves addition of storm drain to existing storm pipes.  I'd like to be able to use Civil 3D to include existing and proposed pipes in the networks, but be able to show existing pipes differently than proposed pipes on plans and profiles, i.e. screened.  However, I can't seem to figure out a way to do this--I can effect changes to all networks, but not invididual pipes.  Any ideas?  TIA.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
ccoles
in reply to: Anonymous

It's easy. I assume you have a pipe and structure styles built for existing and proposed. Build the network with the existing and proposed pipes, then change the pipe style and structure style on each of the elements.

Windows 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5610, Dual-Xeon 2.6Ghz, 16 Gig RAM
Civil 3D 2013
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: ccoles

Not quite clear what you mean.  Like I said I'm a newbie.  I can click Pipe Properties and click the Pipe Style button. I can change the Style, but the change gets applied to all pipes/structures in the drawing, not just the pipe I selected.  Is there something I'm missing?

Message 4 of 11
ccoles

Click a single pipe, right click, and select pipe properties, and you can change each pipe individually. Same for the structures.

Windows 7 64-bit
Civil 3D 2013
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I do that and it still changes all pipes.
Message 6 of 11
ccoles

It sounds like you're doing it right. Each pipe and structure should be individually adjustable unless you have some sort of global setting turned on. I don't even know where to look for something like that.

On the off chance it is a software bug, have you installed Service Pack 1 yet?

Windows 7 64-bit
Civil 3D 2013
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

I'm using AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012 SP2.  Does that change any of your advice?

Message 8 of 11
ccoles

We went from C3D-2011 to C3D-2013. I never used 2012, so unsure if it is the problem. I haven't had an issue with 2011 or 2013, and I've worked extensively in both.

Windows 7 64-bit
Civil 3D 2013
Message 9 of 11
Charlie.Ogden

jhuesmann,

Based on what you're describing it sounds like you may actually be editing the style - which will change it for all objects using the style.  What ccoles was describing was to switch to another style in the style list - if you have other styles available... so using this drop-down control, instead of the one to the right of it:

ChangeStyle.png

This is where you might have styles setup that represent existing objects vs propoed objects.

Hope that helps.

Charlie Ogden, PE
Product Manager
Message 10 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Charlie.Ogden

Charlie, that did the trick.  I created an "Existing Pipes" style, using different layers than proposed and it worked.  Thank you so much!

Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

This issue brings up another issue. Data reference versus Xreference?  To me it seems like redundant work to data reference a pipe netowrk into your sheets after you have set them in a master file. A few reasons:

1. Setting styles for existing versus proposed pipes (done once in master)
  2. Naming network structures doesn't update in a data ref (in my experience) essentially making me have to name them again in the data reference.
  3. Setting a prefix to the Pipe and structure layers in the drawing settings allows x-ref screening based on network.

So all that being said, which is better, x-references or data references? Please advise if you have ran across this issue.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report