Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did You Know?

25 REPLIES 25
Message 1 of 26
wfberry
877 Views, 25 Replies

Did You Know?

The National Institute of Standards and Technology and the National Geodetic Survey (NGS), National Ocean Service (NOS), National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), Department of Commerce (DOC) announces a decision to deprecate the use of the “U.S. survey foot” on December 31, 2022. 

Just wondering if any of my USA constituents have been following this?

Bill

25 REPLIES 25
Message 21 of 26
Neilw_05
in reply to: rl_jackson

I have not had a need to use data from that source so I don't know if the state has done any work in getting it into Int'l Feet. However the fact that it has set the standard implies that any data that is hosted by the state should eventually become available in the proper units. That is a good thing for users of public data. Once the standard becomes nationwide, the process of integrating data from public sources will be seamless. It will take some time to get there of course.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 22 of 26
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: AllenJessup

thanks thats a keeper

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 23 of 26
wfberry

It can't be more accurate. All GPS is measured in one big Cartesian system and then transformed into whatever system you're using (within the limits of the program).

Allen at this time do not try to over-think it at this point.  ALL State Plane Coordinate Systems will be under the new sytem:

To this end, NGS will establish the State Plane Coordinate System of 2022 (SPCS2022), which will replace SPCS 83, the version referenced to NAD 83.

Bill

Message 24 of 26
AllenJessup
in reply to: wfberry

I did some more reading overnight. One thing I noticed was the the Acre is based on the US Survey foot. So, although I didn't find any mention of it, I'd assume that the Acre will have to be redefined.

Now for the average holding of a few acres. That's not going to make a difference anyone will notice. Since I don't know exactly what the new definition will be. I can't calculate at what point the difference will become noticeable. Probably only on very large holdings like mega-farms and large ranches. But I'm sure that at some time or another some Surveyors are going to have to explain to a landowner or their attorney why the acreage has changed. 

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 25 of 26
_Hathaway

The adjustment is the difference between the US Survey foot which is defined as: 1200/3947 meters while the International foot is exactly 0.3048 meters. I'd be willing to bet those states working currently in International feet are not reporting acreage in US Survey Feet. I don't see acreage variations due to the shift to the international foot being an issue at all. It's definitely at the very bottom of my list of concerns once the new rule hits.
Message 26 of 26
AllenJessup
in reply to: _Hathaway

Oh. I'm not worried. I view this more as a thought experiment or whatever you want to call it. I know it's very unlikely to affect things on the ground. However...

SI definitions are changing. If the Meter is redefined that will redefine the foot. The "exact equivalents for the foot that will be adopted after December 31, 2022 will be published near to this date". All of this is more for scientific measurement where the constants are still being measured against a chunk of platinum. We're just going to experience a small bit of fallout from it. I'm confident that by the time this is adopted. Civil 3D and other programs will have been updated to handle it.

But I'm not going to dump Corpscon 6 any time soon.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report