Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daylight after Meandering Sidewalk

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
1003 Views, 16 Replies

Daylight after Meandering Sidewalk

Hello All,

I have a street with a meandering sidewalk. I have an assembly with the street section, a lanscaped section, a 10' sidewalk, and a daylight respectively.

The problem I'm having is this: the sidewalk is targeting two polylines (inner and outer edges). The daylight modeling starts at a constant distance from the centerline (like the assembly is drawn) without taking into consideration the outer sidewalk target. Is there any way to make the daylight begin after the sidewalk target? The daylight subassemblies that I've tried do not have a polyline target for me to use.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
cwr-pae
in reply to: Anonymous

Corridor problems almost always need a dwg file for people here to diagnose due to the vast number of variables/permutations.

Message 3 of 17
klugb

You can attach the daylight subassembly to the sidewalk so when it moves to follow the horizontal target the daylight shifts also.

Like CWR said a drawing would help. Can you screenshot out the assembly at least?

Bruce Klug, P.E.
AutoCAD Expert Elite Alumni
AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Win 10 Enterprise, 64-bit
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: klugb

nv7 subassembly.jpg

Here is my assembly. I have the daylight attached to the end of the meandering walk on the right side of the assembly. As I stated before, the sidewalk is meandering so I am targeting the inside and outside of the subassembly to polylines. However, when I do so, the daylight assembly does not shift with it.

My only thought was that I could use a daylight subassembly that could target the same outside width polyline to "start" the daylight, but I didn't find any such daylight subassembly that could target a polyline for the beginning of the daylight.

Any help would be awesome.

Message 5 of 17
jeff_rivers

Would you mind sharing a screenshot of your corridor targeting? I'm a little bit confused on how you are targeting the polylines. The typical urban sidewalk subassembly can assign width targets to the inside boulevard (grass planter strip), the outside boulevard, and the sidewalk outside width.

So for those three possible targets, which ones are assigned to your polylines? ?

Jeffrey Rivers
Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel i9 3.7GHz, 64 GB
NVIDIA RTX A4000
C3D 2020 V13.2.89.0
Message 6 of 17
Jeff_M

It sounds like the daylight is not actually attached to the sidewalk subassembly. I've used this exact scenario many times.
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 7 of 17
klugb

Assembly.png

As Jeff said right-click on the subassembly and see if this is an option.

Bruce Klug, P.E.
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: jeff_rivers

MEANDERING DAYLIGHT.jpgDAYLIGHT SECTION.jpgtargeting screen.jpg

Here are the three relevant pictures. The daylight is correctly attached to the assembly. The Sidewalk correctly targets the meandering sidewalk polylines. The issue is that the daylight assembly continues to begin x feet offset from centerline without taking into account the meandering sidewalk targets. The x offset from centerline is the distance in the assembly without polyline targeting.

Edit: I also tried offsetting the outside sidewalk polyline the 2 feet for the bench and adding a third target for "Outside boulevard width" which did nothing as well.

Message 9 of 17
klugb

Can you post the drawing or email it?

It would be a lo easier to resolve the issues.

bruce (dot) klug (at) clark.wa.gov

Bruce Klug, P.E.
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Message 10 of 17
Anonymous

I'm not sure I'd be able to send the file due to the sheer number of data references involved.

Message 11 of 17
Simon_Blain

Is your daylight subassembly attached to another part of your assembly but it has an offset in it so it looks like it's attached to the end of the sidewalk ?

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: Simon_Blain

The daylight is attached to the end of the sidewalk's bench section and does not have an offset. The modeling of the daylight continues to begin at the x offset of the centerline with x being the length before any polyline targeting takes place.

Message 13 of 17
Simon_Blain

Can you post a SS of your assembly properties on the construction tab ?

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: Simon_Blain

assembly properties.jpg

Please forgive my subassembly names! I do a good amount of copying.

Message 15 of 17
Simon_Blain

See the grouping of your subassemblies, the urbansidewalks are not connected to group 11 and group 12, neither is the daylightmultiintercept who's in his own group.

There might be a better way to change it but the one I know (haven't had to change this often) would be to recreate your assembly from scratch and make sure there is only 2 groups, left and right. Inside those group the subassemblies must be in the correct order from top to bottom.

Try this and I'm pretty sure it's gonna work 🙂

Message 16 of 17
klugb

Your daylight is not attached to the sidewalk. Grip the daylight and rt-click select "Move to" and pick the back of sidewalk. Then rebuild your corridor.

Bruce Klug, P.E.
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Message 17 of 17
Anonymous

Thank you both. It's always the easiest solutions in the end, isn't it?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report