Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data shortcuts and cropped surfaces for large data sets

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
283 Views, 2 Replies

Data shortcuts and cropped surfaces for large data sets

Hello! I'm trying to figure out if loading files and plotting will take longer if a use a cropped surface as a data shortcut. I have found many pages and documents on how data shortcuts are great and should be used for large data sets, but nothing regarding cropped surfaces. If anyone has experience with large data sets, such as contours and surfaces, I would really appreciate your thoughts on this process! Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
rkmcswain
in reply to: Anonymous

To make sure I understand....

You have Surface1.
You crop it to make Surface2.
Now you create a data shortcut to Surface2.
Then in another drawing, you import Surface2 as a data reference and you want to know if this new drawing will be slower loading and printing? Compare to what, if you just dref'ed Surface1?

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: rkmcswain

Hi! Yes! That's exactly what I mean. To help with context - I have a 100-mile alignment that changes quite often and involves 270 plan sheets at 100 scale. I am receiving surface data from a third party (think of it as tiles). Every time there is an alignment change I have to piece-mail the data together - and then post process it to reduce the size. The resulting surfaces are large enough in files size that it's cumbersome. I would like to have a surface that isn't cropped, so if the alignment changes again, I can keep changing the cropped surface on the fly and keep the surface file size low. But since a cropped surface looks for a source drawing - I feel like I'm not gaining anything even if the cropped surface resorts in a small file size, but it has to look for two source drawings, one for the data shortcut and one for the cropped surface. Hopefully, this makes sense. I am about to embark on creating these and was hoping someone may have some experience/wisdom in this area. Thank you for your reply!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report