Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crop a grid surface created from DEM tiff

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
OliverE
366 Views, 6 Replies

Crop a grid surface created from DEM tiff

Hi,

Is it possible to crop a grid surface that has been created from .tif DEM file? I have a dwg that has one surface in it, named EGL. I didn't create the surface but believe it was created by right clicking Surface in prospector tab > Create Surface > Select Grid as surface type > Add DEM file. The current surface style only displays the surface border. The DEM has 38million points spread across a mountain that's being developed.

Future drone survey's will likely be used to update EGL. Therefore, I would like to crop three sections of this surface representing different stages of the project to be used by multiple people for simultaneous design. I have three closed 2D polylines at 0 elevation representing each stage. The Create Cropped Surface dialogue box has the surface type greyed out and only TIN surface is available as the surface type that I'm able to create which I'm not overly worried about but any comment here is welcome too. I'm experiencing two issues:

1) I select EGL > Extract From Surface>Create Cropped Surface>click Selection Method>Select Object on the command line. It cancels the command and the Create Cropped Surface dialogue box re-opens. 

2) If I follow the same steps but draw a polygon rather than trying to select one of the polylines as an object, it allows me to create the cropped area and and click the OK button to create the cropped surface in a separate drawing called EGL-Cropped Stages. When I open EGL-Cropped Stages, the prospector shows a TIN surface has been created but the Properties>Definitions Tab is empty and no surface appears.

To get around this I've recreated EGL as a TIN surface and added a data clip boundary which encompasses all three stages, then added the DEM file. Then cropped from this successfully. Wondering if anyone has experienced the issues above or has any comments regarding advantages of cropping from a surface created as a grid surface or a TIN surface. I have attached the dwg but the tif file is too big.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Labels (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Pointdump
in reply to: OliverE

Hi Oliver,
I don't see any surfaces in your drawing.
You could post a link to your Tiff using DropBox, WeTransfer, etc.
If you MAPEXPORT your area-of-interest polygons out to shapefiles, you can use CloudCompare or QGIS to crop the Tiff.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 7
OliverE
in reply to: Pointdump

Sorry, I've recreated a test surface that is displaying the same behavior and attached it along with the tif I used.

Thanks,

Message 4 of 7
Pointdump

Hi Oliver,
Thanks for posting your data and drawing.
I got same as you when I tried to Create a Cropped Surface. Type and OK were greyed out. Double-clicking some of the entry lines in that dialogue box were exasperating dead ends. So I gotta say it doesn't seem possible to Create Cropped Surface with a Grid Surface.
Data Clipping Boundary works as well with a Grid Surface as with a TIN Surface, but it looks like the TIN Surface is the only way to go with what you want to do.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 5 of 7
Neilw_05
in reply to: Pointdump

Hi Dave, I see you are using CloudCompare too. It is my go to for converting or extracting data from large point clouds. Did you know it can read dxf files too? Not to say it is better than exporting to shape, but maybe.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 6 of 7
Pointdump
in reply to: Neilw_05

Hi Neil,
I learned about CloudCompare from you. I did not know it could also read DXF files. Good to know.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 7 of 7
OliverE

Thanks for looking into it. Does anyone know the reason why you can't crop a grid surface? What are the other restrictions when using a grid surface? It doesn't seem like the Simplify command works on a grid surface either.

Cheers.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report