Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a TIN surface from an autocad mesh

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
813 Views, 2 Replies

Creating a TIN surface from an autocad mesh

Hi everyone

I've been struggling with creating a correct TIN surface. First i've created a region using the sweep comand on a trapezoid shape and a 3d polyline as the route. Then, i've generated a mesh of triangles (maximum angle 90°, maximum lenght 0.50m) then exploded this mesh to obtain a group of 3d faces wich i want to use to create a TIN surface. The problem is that when i define the TIN surface with this drawing objects (3d faces) it generates an irregular surface that doesn't coincide with the shape of the 3d faces. Also i know that i can produce this surface using assemblies but i find it a little difficult.

Thanks for any insights!

p.d. I know that i can't generate a TIN surface when some of the faces are vertical relative to z, so none of the faces are this way

CORRECT MESH.pngINCORRECT TIN.png

Labels (3)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
andrewpuller3811
in reply to: Anonymous

When you are adding the 3d faces to the surface are you checking the option to maintain the edges of the triangles? 

I know you are doing a sweep to get your faces, but you might get better results by offsetting you 3d polyline and adding those as breaklines to a surface.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 11
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2023
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: andrewpuller3811

Hi, thanks for answering!

I've tried add the drawing objects both ways (checking and not checking the option "mantaining edges from objects") and the results are different but yet imprecise. Also tried defining the TIN surface with offseted lines as you sugested and the results are again different but not what i'm looking for. However i believe that the problem is due to the side faces of the canal are too much steep and this could be causing the triangulation error, so i incremented the slope of the faces (from nearly but not vertical, to a more visible slope) and the triangulation got much better.

2021-10-02 09_53_57-Window.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report