Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a Profile from an Alignment

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
721 Views, 3 Replies

Creating a Profile from an Alignment

Hi Everyone, I am creating a few profile views using some PNEZD (comma delimited) points. I first import my points then connect them with a polyline. Then I create an alignment based off this polyline with the correct flow direction. Next I create a surface then add the same points that I created my polyline with to it. I then create a profile based of the alignment and surface. This has worked for me with one of my drawings but the one I'm currently trying is creating a weird shaped surface that is only on one small part of the alignment. Then when I generate the profile it only shows up on the small spot that the surface was at. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong here? I'm assuming it is an error somewhere in the surface creation? I'm using C3D 2017 By the Way Thanks, Dean
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
tcorey
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Dean,

If I am reading you correctly, you're saying you have a small surface, through which the alignment runs. That, to me, says that the alignment extends beyond the bounds of the surface. You should not expect your surface profile to do the same. It will only show the portion that is within the bounds of the surface.

As far as the surface being weird-shaped, are you only adding the points along the alignment and no others? One thing you can do is replicate the points to each side of the alignment and add the original polyline as a surface breakline.

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: tcorey

Tim, Thanks for the reply. Yes my alignment does run outside of my surface but I don't get why. If I am using the same points to generate the surface as I am the alignment shouldn't it be just about the same size? Yes, I am adding only the points from the alignment to the surface. I'm afraid of adding my other points because I am doing the profile of water surface and I have a broad range of points including ditch bottom, ditch bank, etc.. Will adding them to the surface through off my data? I will try the surface breakline method to make my surface more legible. I attached a picture to the drawing alignment and surface that I am talking about. Thanks, Dean
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: tcorey

Tim, I must have been using some weird set of points saved when creating the surface cause I used my original file of all the points and got a better result. In the future is it easier to create these profiles if I have multiple points at widths and distances? What I'm dealing with are basically creeks that are drains. Thanks for the help, Dean

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report