Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corridor surface boundaries

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
3159 Views, 16 Replies

Corridor surface boundaries

Hello Everyone,. 

I have a design specification  where I made an assembly with 3 layers pavement (sub-assembly) shown in the picture attached, and I need to set the corridor surface boundaries right, so I can get the fill area required in the design as shown in the picture. I tried many boundaries type such as links & featured links I even made sub-assembly using subassimbly composer, but same result I couldn't get the fill area to look right as in the picture new doc 2019-10-10 11.51.55-1.jpg

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Your images look like the assembly itself. This will not show cut/fill hatches as they need a target for this. Your other hatches for the road are shown because they are defined shapes. The assembly composer is just a working area for you to define your corridor assembly. To get the hatches for cut/fill you will firstly need to apply the assembly to a corridor and a target surface. Previous post here shows how to achieve hatching on cross sections using materials.

Regards,

Peter

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous

Peter, my problem is not that I don't know how to make corridor and surfaces (Ngl & corridor surface) I already did the principals and actually calculated earthwork and viewed them in section views. the question is that I want my fill area to be below the sub-base but also covers the empty spaces above pavement lyres (base & sub-base) as illustrated in the pic with original post. here is how my fill area looks like, which is not what want ! fill.PNG

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous

Ok, so to get your hatch for your fill I assume that you set up a materials table. If so I would take a guess that your fill is set to below finished road level & above existing. And that is what is showing. To achieve what it seems that you want, you would firstly need to create an additional  surface from your corridor that follows your earthworks and the bottom of your sub-base. You can do this by adding a new surface in your corridor properties and only including the required codes. By targeting this surface in your materials you will get the quantities for fill (and hatch) to bottom of sub-base. If you target this same surface in cut areas then the volume (and hatch) will include to bottom of sub-base. Hope this helps. If my assumptions are incorrect please let me know.

Regards,

Peter

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous

@Anonymous just in case you are having trouble creating additional corridor surface, it may be due to the naming template. Best way is to add a counter to the name template. Quick alternative is to change the name of your current corridor surface in corridor properties, then click new surface. It will create one with corridor name. You can then rename the new one to “Formation” or something and rename previous one back to the corridor name. New surface can be set to a triangulation style for checking but set to no display once you are happy as it’s just for calculation purposes. Don’t forget to add/check boundaries after renaming and creating new one. Set both to corridor extents.

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous

Ok, back at my PC this morning so will add a little more detail to previous posts.

Below image shows your corridor section with 5 red dots. These points or links between them need to be added to the new corridor surface. This new surface will follow your earthworks and underside of sub-base.

Corridor_Section.jpg

Image below shows corridor properties dialog box with Surfaces tab selected. The example shown has two surfaces for a simple track. In my particular case, the base surface includes the earthworks and bottom of track construction, the other surface only has the track materials. In your situation you probably have one surface for your finished levels, and you need a new one to include the points at the locations of the red dots on the section above. You can do this by selecting links, or by selecting the relevant feature lines and adding them to the surface. And don't forget to add a boundary else dodgy triangulation will mess up your surface and your quantities.

Corridor_SurfaceOptions.JPG

I did before mention that if your corridor surface name settings are set to corridor name you may notice that when clicking on new surface as below, nothing happens.

Corridor_SurfaceNew.JPG

You will either need to rename your current surface in the surfaces tab of the corridor before clicking the new surface button, or you will need to update your naming template. This can be accessed by using the third of the three buttons as below.

Corridor_SurfaceName.JPG

This will open up the naming template.

Corridor_SurfaceNameTemplate.JPG

You want to edit the settings to match below (or any other preference).

Corridor_SurfaceNameTemplateNew.JPG

Now when clicking on the button to create a new surface it will do so with the corridor name and a counter.

Once you have created a new surface to bottom of sub-base, check it to ensure things look as they should, then target this surface in your materials table.

Hopefully the above will fix your problem but if not let me know and we'll try something else.

Regards,

Peter

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous

Peter, First of all thank you for taking the time and replying to my post. Now I did exactly what you told me to do so, which is what actually did before but this time I added another corridor surface as you told, and codded the points (red dotes).  I called my other "new" Surface Earth work and here it is with point Codes needed 

Corridor Surfaces.png

Then I added boundaries 

borders.pngthen, Here is How my earthwork looked like : 

cut and fill.PNG

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous

@Anonymous  Now, after that result I got I tried one different thing . I did All the Same steps but this time I ordered the points in the surface boundaries by right click on the surface then I choose " add automatically" then I started ordering my points as shown here : order bpuondries.PNG

but the result is that it did not get my fill and cut hatch . 

cut section.PNG

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous

Ok, so it looks like we are nearly there. Your surface still seems to be picking up the finished edge of road.

A surface cannot overlap itself so it will not go to edge of road and then back on itself for bottom of sub-base. It will instead go from earthworks to bottom of sub-base then back up to edge of road and then back down to bottom of sub-base at CL. The piece between edge of earthworks and finished edge of road surface will need to be sacrificed in this particular surface. Your surface should follow daylight > edge of earthworks > bot edge of sub-base > CL sub-base > bot edge of sub-base > edge of earthworks > daylight.

To make up for the missing piece you can do this in one of two ways. Option A, have a point located on the finished verge above the edge of sub-base (but set back 10mm back as surfaces cannot have vertical faces or overlap themselves) and add this to the surface definition to minimise the area being sacrificed. Option B, create another corridor surface for this little section referencing edge of earthworks > bot edge of sub-base > road edge.

EDIT: I would usually create a surface for bottom of road construction as in Option A above. I would then have a volume for the road box (bottom edge of construction to finished level) which would incorporate the missing section of material. To find it's volume I can then just take away the volume of road materials from the box volume. I don't usually quote it with the general cut and fill quantities. I quote it with the road materials quantities as it will be placed as part of the road construction, not the earthworks.

I do also have a lisp routine to create a table in C3D where volumes can be added/subtracted live on update but this uses volume TIN's not material take-offs. I use this for general quick reference of materials during design, before running a full material take-off for mass haul diagrams etc.

Regards,

Peter

Message 10 of 17
Anonymous

Ok Peter, I am back in my office now, I am not really sure If I got you 100 %  but basically what I understood from your post is that my earthwork surface boundaries should not be a part of the assembly itself ! Now what I did not get is how to create a surface instead of that (as you said 10 mm away ) at the veges I believe this would work ! but How can add points that are 10 mm away ! Hopw to hear from you soon ! 

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous

@Anonymous  here I tried a Surface from Poly line and here is how it looked 

Fill 

polyline fill.PNG

CUT 

polyline cut.PNG

here is my poly-line that I created Surface from 

polylne section.PNG

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous

@Anonymous if you were looking down onto your section from the top, the polyline you have shown would overlap itself. It links to the top edge of road and then comes back on itself to link to bottom of sub-base. A surface cannot overlap itself under any circumstances which is why it is not working for you. I admit that I am not always the best at explaining myself and so there may well be a little confusion.

As an example I built an assembly, corridor and materials template to try and show what I mean. The first image "Section 1" shows the resulting sections. The grey solid hatch is the road materials, the yellow solid hatch is the verge fill (though you could show with same fill hatch), the green hatch is the main earthworks fill, and the red hatch is the main earthworks cut. In my case I set up the cut to include all cut to bottom of sub-base, which includes the road materials and the yellow verge area. The green fill hatch is shown to follow the earthworks and the bottom of sub-base. You will notice that it does not include the yellow verge area, I have shown this separately in the materials.
The "Section 1-Finished Level" image shows how this surface was set up to follow finished profile. "Section 1-Main EW" shows how that surface was set up to follow earthworks and bottom of sub-base. "Section 1-Verge EW" shows how this surface incorporates the missing area at the verge.
The "Corridor 1" image shows how the surfaces were set up in the corridor. The Finished Level and Main EW surfaces have a boundary set to Corridor Shrinkwrap. The Verge EW has a boundary set to the edge of verge (EW1 in my example).
The "Materials 1" image shows the individual items which is probably how I would report the data as the verge EW fill would be completed as part of the road construction after the road materials were laid.
My test sections work fine here, I just hope I've managed to explain it properly.

Regards,
Peter

"Section 1"
Section 1.jpg
"Section 1-Finished Level"
section 1-Finished Level.jpg
"Section 1-Main EW"

Section 1-Main EW.jpg

"Section 1-Verge EW"

Section 1-Verge EW.jpg

"Corridor 1"

Corridor 1.JPG

"Materials 1"

Materials 1.JPG

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous

@Anonymous  You are the BEST ! this looks very clear and well explained. I Don't have access to C3D now but I have to reply to you before I try this, it will be first thing I do tomorrow, but before that I have to ask you how can I set up these red lines then assign (code) these points on them. I only know how to add stranded sub-assembles (the ones already provided in C3D) so basically I need to know how to add these red lines and then assign points on them and the rest is perfectly clear. Again thank you for not giving up on me !

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous

@Anonymousthe red lines themselves don't actually exist as lines, they represent the surfaces in the corridor surface settings to help explain how they are all connected. I just highlighted them red to help with the explanation.

To edit codes, right click on a sub-assembly (whether standard or not) and go to subassembly properties window. As in the image below. This can only edit one subassembly at a time though. You can also access these parameters by selecting the subassembly or subassemblies and going to the standard properties window. Near the bottom is usually the option to edit or assign codes to different points and links.

In my example I just used a "GenericPavementStructure" for each of the road materials and a generic "LinkWidthAndSlope" subassembly for the verge areas. I just used a basic daylighting but you seem to have a ditch which will need to be incorporated.

Subassembly Properties

SubassemblyProperties1.JPG

Regards,

Peter

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous

@Anonymousalso don't forget that now you have the surfaces you can break up the materials how you like. For example, if you wanted to distinguish between how much of the verge fill area (yellow hatch in my example) is in your fill zones and cut zones you can break it up by adding another material and additional EGL (Existing ground level) parameters as below.

Materials 2.JPG

The hatch for the small fill area in the verge can now be reported separately for fill and cut zones, it could also be displayed differently on your sections if required by changing the shape styles.

Regards,

Peter

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous

@Anonymous  Can you please post a picture of how did you set the points EW1, EW2 , and DL1. I know you used "LinkWidthSlop" to cover verge area. from the picture I see that the point EW2 is the point at the outside end of that Link, but EW1 seems to be in the meddle of that link, which docent make seance ! Also I used "BasicSideSlpeCutDitch" for my daylight I tried to find the basic Daylight that you put to follow your way first ! then change according to design later, but I couldn't know which one it was. So could you please post a picture of how did you set these points I mentioned above and the basic daylight you used. 

THANK YOU  

Message 17 of 17
Anonymous

@Anonymousthe links at the verge in my example for EW1 and EW2 is TWO sub-assemblies. The first extends beyond the sub-base (EW1), the second is an offset from that to back of verge (EW2).

The daylight in the example is just a generic "LinkSlopeToSurface". Assembly attached. In hindsight I should have marked the road materials as RE1 & 'T' for 'Top' rather than an 'A', and probably the verges as V1 and V2 instead of EW1 and EW2 but these things happen when rushing and you can re-code them any way you like. The example is very generic and may not fit you particular purpose. But it should give you an idea on how to set things up for your particular needs.

Regards,

Peter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report