Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copying Point Groups

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
7905 Views, 14 Replies

Copying Point Groups

Is there a way to copy point groups (not the points themselves, just the Point Group Definitions) from one drawing into another drawing?

I can drag the point group between drawings in 2 ways but neither one works.

1st way- Drag Point Group within Prospector from the Point Group section in one drawing into the Point Group section in the other drawing.

2nd way- Drag Point Group from Prospector into the Screen area of the other drawing.

Although these drags appear to work, i.e. the Dragging Icon changes appropriately, nothing happens.

Any ideas?

David
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I have never seen the need to want that, but I tried your 2nd way and they
jumped right in to a new file.

Bill

wrote in message news:5839563@discussion.autodesk.com...
Is there a way to copy point groups (not the points themselves, just the
Point Group Definitions) from one drawing into another drawing?

1st way- Drag Point Group within Prospector from the Point Group section in
one drawing into the Point Group section in the other drawing.

2nd way- Drag Point Group from Prospector into the Screen area of the other
drawing.

Although these drags appear to work, i.e. the Dragging Icon changes
appropriately, nothing happens.

Any ideas?

David
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous

I have done this without issue as well. You may need to Update & Refresh the
Point Group tree in the panorama. Do you have all SP's installed?

--
John Mayo, PE
Project Engineer
Conklin Associates
Ramsey, NJ

Civil 3D 2008, LDT 2008, Raster Design 2008
P-IV at 3.5 GHz
2 GB Ram
Nvidea Quadro FX w/ 128 MB Ram
wrote in message news:5839563@discussion.autodesk.com...
Is there a way to copy point groups (not the points themselves, just the
Point Group Definitions) from one drawing into another drawing?

1st way- Drag Point Group within Prospector from the Point Group section in
one drawing into the Point Group section in the other drawing.

2nd way- Drag Point Group from Prospector into the Screen area of the other
drawing.

Although these drags appear to work, i.e. the Dragging Icon changes
appropriately, nothing happens.

Any ideas?

David
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous

What about copying more than one point group at a time? I have a whole lot of point groups that I want to copy from one drawing to another, but there doesn't seem to be a way to mass select them. Is there a way to export and import, or somehow mass copy point group definitions?

Message 5 of 15
wfberry

Tomcat:

1.  At the top of this page there is a "My Settings".  Please fill this out so we know what OS, software, etc you are using.

2..  It has been suggested several times not to hijack an existing thread particulary one like this, that is over 2 years old.

Thanks,

Bill

As far as I know, dragging one group at a time is about it.

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

Why aren't they in your DWT?

Reid

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: wfberry

I didn't realize that I was "hijacking" a thread, didn't even know that was a possibility. I am simply having a similar problem, and wanted to piggy-back on the ideas expressed in the thread.

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous

These settings arent in my template because I just switched to Civil 3D 2012, from Map 3d 2007. The drawings that have the point groups in them are from before Map 3D 2007, when I was using Civil 3D 2010. I have yet to create a template for this latest move, and wanted to know if there was a way to mass copy the point groups from 2010 to 2012. I have the old template, but I don't want all of the settings from it, just the point groups.

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: wfberry

I went through "My Settings", and I don't see spaces for OS and that type of thing. Do you use this as a signature? It seemed as if you were hinting that that was something I should have done, and that I was somehow stupid for not realizing it. That's just the impression that I get. If I have missed something, let me know.

Message 10 of 15
Jeff_M

Replying to a thread that has sat dormant for 2.5 years is just not reccomended. For one, the person you are replying to may no even be around any longer (in this case, John does still frequent here). For another, unless someone opens your reply, they won't know it is a new question you have (even if it is fundamentally the same). Many folks don't open threads with replies, thinking that the person is already getting the needed help.

As for adding the system specs, you can do that in your signature, as Bill has done, and then it shows with every post you make. Or, you can do as I do and add the info to a macro (also available under the My Settings) so you can choose when to insert the information to a message....which is suggested to be done when asking a question, that way no one will have to spend the time wondering what version, then asking, then formulating a proper response.

And no, Bill was not trying to insinuate that your are stupid, I'm sure. He was just trying to help you out in his own Kentuckian way. Smiley Wink

Now, as for the Point Groups. Take a copy of the file containing the PG's. Thaw & turn on all layers. Delete everything from modelspace. Use the new-for-2012 Purge Styles to remove all the C3D styles. Use the normal Purge all. Use the command line -purge to remove any registered applications. Save. Now you can insert this empty drawing, exploded, into any drawing which you want the Point Groups added and they will be (you will need to refresh the point group display to see them).

HTH

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Jeff_M

I know its a very old post but if anyone else googles this, The conflict between the poster and the help was that the poster may have used 2 sessions of AutoCAD while the people helping probably used multi windows in one session. I tried both ways' and only the one session with multi windows worked. AutoCAD 2019 C3D.

Message 12 of 15
s-bernard.hayden

If someone does google this there is a 3rd way that works with multiple point group definitions. Delete all the entities in your drawing (Quick Select is your friend). The point group definitions are still there. Create on entity that will be easy to select in the target drawing. Use Save As to create a temporary file. Insert (drag/drop) this temp file into the target drawing as a block. Select and explode the block. The point groups should all come over.

Message 13 of 15
camptech

Civil3D 2019 here.  I *think* I have all the SP's applied, but cannot swear to it.

I am trying to create a House Staking template drawing.  In a working house stake drawing I have steamlined my workflow and created various Point Groups.  I create a new drawing (with QNEW) so that I have a fresh drawing created from my master .dwt template.  I try to copy the point groups I created in my working drawing to the brand new, fresh soon-to-be-template .dwg drawing, but nothing is working.  I have tried all three methods above.

My last attempt was to SAVE AS my working drawing as a new, temporary drawing.  I deleted ALL POINTS, removed ALL SURVEY database data, unfroze ALL layers, unhid ALL layers, selected EVERYTHING and deleted it, SAVED the .dwg.  I also run "purge" on the temporary file, and clicked on [PURGE ALL].  Pretty sure I purged everything, then saved again.  Next I inserted this temporary drawing into my new, soon-to-be(I hope)-staking-template .dwg.  I did not create any objects in the temporary drawing because when inserted some stuff showed up (even though I thought I had deleted everything).  So I selected the stuff that came over and exploded everything (multiple times), then selected and deleted everything.

Still no point groups appeared in my new soon-to-be(I hope) stakeout template drawing.

Help!  I really do not want to have to manually create these point groups, with comments etc, in this new drawing.  Took me like an hour, hour-and-a-half before.

Any suggestions?

Message 14 of 15
camptech

I just tried the LandXML export / import technique described here:  http://dotsoft.com/blog/?p=320

Still no point groups imported.  <cry>

Message 15 of 15
camptech

I do not know how I did it, but I managed to get the Point Groups in to the template .dwg.   That is to say, I do not know what worked.  I do not know if it worked earlier, but the Point Group "tree" just failed to "update" -- that is, they were there, but I could not see them?

After I did the following... they came in:

1) In originating drawing (the one with the point groups I wanted to export)...

• ran purge, then [PURGE ALL] several times.
  • ran audit, fixed errors
  • saved
  • (also exported LandXML, specified point groups... but did not seem to work?)

2) gave up on importing into my "template" .dwg;  instead found and opened the Autodesk Civil3D Imperial (Civil3D 2019).dwt template file. 

• importing the LandXML file did not appear to work here either
  • inserted the "working" .dwg (the drawing with the point groups)
    • Yay!  Point groups came into the Imperial template .dwg (I had saved it).  BUT so did all these layers I did not want.  Could not delete the layers.  Probably styles issues.
  • BUT... I was able to successfully drag the point groups from the Imperial.dwg file to my new template .dwg.  When I did so, got a popup window warning about overwriting something that already existed -- which is why I wonder if the point groups had not been imported earlier somewhere along the way, but just never showed up.  I said yes, overwrite it, and checked the box to overwrite anything else.  After this finished, I saw all my point groups.  Go figure.   <bangs head on wall>

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report