Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coordinate System Civil3d and Map3d

41 REPLIES 41
SOLVED
Message 1 of 42
dosheaA9EUT
2892 Views, 41 Replies

Coordinate System Civil3d and Map3d

Under drawing settings, in NAD83 New York State Planes, Central Zone, US Foot, the reference point has a grid Northing of 43.2' , Easting of -76.408333' . These values are not the same as the published values for the coordinate system. They are also different from the values listed in the Planning and Analysis portion of the program, Map setup, Coordinate system, Assign. The values listed in this section are correct but don't appear to apply to the drawing. Why are the drawing setting coordinates shifted under drawing settings? This creates a shift in shapefile locations when they are imported.

Tags (3)
Labels (3)
41 REPLIES 41
Message 41 of 42
ChicagoLooper
in reply to: dosheaA9EUT

@dosheaA9EUT wrote:

The discrepancy occurs when bringing the data shown in image 3 into civil3d using the Autodesk connector for Arcgis. The point does not align with the geomarker when I do this. 

The solution is simple:

Skip the Autodesk Connector altogether. Simply connect to the shapefile using an FDO conection. When the shapefile is brought in without the AD connector the discrepancy is 6-7 inches, not 3+ feet! 

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 42 of 42
dosheaA9EUT
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

When brought in using a direct connection to the .shp file ( local copy) it is within 7" or so. This defeats the purpose of what I was trying to do. ArcGis online provides live updates to data and features. With the use of our RTK and ArcCollector, I was hoping to create a drawing that would pull the updated data from AGOL. For example, as my plumbing inspector collects newly installed water services, a drafter would be able to create service cards without having to pull data from a data collector or by downloading a bunch of file. The Autodesk connector for ArcGis has this capability and can be easily refreshed by the push of a button. Unfortunately, the tool has this discrepancy and is not usable in this fashion yet.  

If I was doing a design or incorporating a .shp into a survey, I would use the FDO connection so the data was a little more static. I am aware the precision of coordinates does impact the placement of points. When conducting a survey or collecting field data, greater precision is used. The .shp file we have been examining was created to solely try and figure this shift issue out. The coordinates used were to the exact project coordinates listed on the NDS sheet. The choreographic coordinates were used to place the geomarker. I would assume this and the slight difference in datums ( .shp file was NAD83 2011, drawing was NAD 83) is what created the 7" difference. I was not worried about this during this exercise. 

Thank you all for your input on this topic. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report