Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting a Drawing to UTM Coordinates

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
cpls8398
8360 Views, 3 Replies

Converting a Drawing to UTM Coordinates

I did a survey using California Coordinate System Zone III. Is there a way to convert my drawing to UTM so it can be used by some working with UTM coordinates?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
ChicagoLooper
in reply to: cpls8398

Run a query.

1. Save your original dwg, the one which is using CA83IIIF (EPSG 2227) coordinate system. Close the drawing. It must be closed for this query operation to occur.
  2. Open a fresh, brand new drawing. Use OOTB 'No Template - Metric.' (This is assuming someone wants the drawing in UTM84 zone 10 meters.)
  3. MAPCSASSIGN=>then enter 'UTM84-10' in search box=>highlight & select UTM84-10N=>Assign. (You want to select north zone, not south zone, because you are above the equator.) 
  4. Planning & Analysis workspace=>Map Task Pane=>Map Explorer tab=>right click 'Drawings'=>Attach=>browse to the dwg you just saved=>highlight & select it=>Add=>OK (The dwg is now attached and will appear in Task Pane, Explorer tab, under 'Drawings.' Even though there is nothing in modelspace it's perfectly OK because you have not run the query yet. Once the query is executed, your queried objects will appear.)
  5. In Task pane, Map Explorer tab, right click Current Query=>Define=>LOCATION Button=>All=>OK 
  6. Click PROPERTY Button=>Layer=>Values Button
  7. You will now perform the Query. Select ALL the layers that you want to bring to your new UTM drawing. You may use shift+mouse or Ctrl+mouse to select multiple layers. (You will probably want to indiscriminately select all of the layers, regardless of whether you want them or not because you are trying to 'replicate' your original dwg, the only thing you want to change is the coordinate system.) When finished, OK. ***NOTE: If at any time, you are presented with a Confirm Save Back dialog window, select NO. If you select yes you will overwrite your attached drawing and you don't want to do that. You want your original drawing to remain as-is.***
  8. Back in Define Query of Attached Drawing dialog window, in the Query Mode section, switch from Preview to Draw.
  9. Complete your query by clicking Execute Query button. You have just performed the query.
  10.  This NEW  drawing is now in UTM84-10N. Zoom extents to see you line work.
  11. Back in Task Pane, Explorer tab, right click your attached drawing and select 'Detach.' (If you forget to Detach it, no one, including you, will be able to access that drawing because the program assumes someone is running a query and 'locks it down' while it is attached in Explorer Tab of the Task Pane. It will only be unlocked when you detach it.) 
  12. Save your new UTM drawing by giving it a name distinctly different from your original drawing.
Chicagolooper
Message 3 of 4
cpls8398
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

When I try to import all of the layers I get the error message "Capacity of tile ID_EBOX_VALUE exceeded". Any idea what that is because it is stopping my progress at this point.

Message 4 of 4
ChicagoLooper
in reply to: cpls8398

I've never had that problem. I'm guessing you have a lot of layers and the query dialog has a limit. Suggest you break up the layers into several groups. Maybe 10 to 20 layers per group. Also, I would make the CA83-IIIF as 'light' as possible by detaching any xrefs. Save the dwg, then attach the lighter dwg. Rerun your query using the lighter dwg. For the xrefs, make sure they're georeferenced to CA83-IIIF, then perform a separate query on those xrefs.

Chicagolooper

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report