Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting a 3D Solid to a Structure

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
boivin.stephanie3
603 Views, 3 Replies

Converting a 3D Solid to a Structure

Is there a way to convert a 3D solid to a civil 3D structure ? 

Labels (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Hi @boivin.stephanie3,

No unfortunately there is not a way to do that. Structures in Civil 3D are parametric objects. 3D Solids are not. You'll need to model it in Part Builder or in Inventor to create it parametrically, update the catalog, and then add to a Parts List in your file.

Steve Hill, Civil Designer / .NET Developer / AutoCAD and AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

http://redtransitconsultants.com/
Autodesk Exchange Store
Twitter | LinkedIn | YouTube

Message 3 of 4
darrenr
in reply to: stevenh0616

Is it as simple as importing the 3D solid into Inventor and saving it in another format? I have some very complex 3D solids that I need to convert to structures. I want to be able show them in my Civil 3D sections and profiles automatically. For me to do this now with my 3D solids, I have to slice the solid at every section and then project them onto the sections. It's very time consuming.

Thanks, Darren

Message 4 of 4
stevenh0616
in reply to: darrenr

No it’s not that simple. You have to have the specific parameters available in the inventor model to match up with other parts. Then use Infrastructure Parts Editor to import it and build a list of sizes.

Steve Hill, Civil Designer / .NET Developer / AutoCAD and AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

http://redtransitconsultants.com/
Autodesk Exchange Store
Twitter | LinkedIn | YouTube

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report