Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

College Student-Roadway Design Project

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
221 Views, 1 Reply

College Student-Roadway Design Project

Hey everyone,

I am a senior civil engineering student and I am currently working on my senior design project which requires me to a model a two lane intersection with lane and signal additions. The project will be reviewed by my professors and VDOT officials. I understand that almost all DOT roadway projects are done with MicroStation/open roads but I wanted to use Civil 3D 2018 as I believe it to be better and I am more comfortable with civil 3d. I am a tough time finding a suitable example file I could use to help me with my project. I have civil 3D templates but they just doesn't seem to work for my paper size of (11"X17"). Does anyone has a roadway project with intersection, signs, signals that I could use as a template and example for my project. I am scoured the internet and I am unable to find any at all. 

Tags (3)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
ChrisRS
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous 

I personally do not do DOT work, but this might give you a start.

I understand that almost all DOT roadway projects are done with MicroStation/open roads but I wanted to use
Civil 3D 2018 as I believe it to be better and I am more comfortable with civil 3d

Several DOTs accept Civil 3D and have developed state kits. California, Florida, Ohio, New Mexico and Wisconsin come to mind.  You should be able to download the FDOT State Kit. This should have templates (and manuals) to get you started. You will need to check for availability of other state kits.

You might get some information in this old  thread: Autocad-usage-by-DOTs 

I have civil 3D templates but they just doesn't seem to work for my paper size of (11"X17"). Does anyone has a roadway project with intersection, signs, signals that I could use as a template and example for my project. I am scoured the internet and I am unable to find any at all. 

You are more apt to find 22" x 36" or 24" x 36" templates. State DOT sheet size is 22" x 34" (ANSI D)

These templates typically have text sizes that are readable when reduced 50% TO 11' X 17" (ANSI B).

I normally plot to a full size PDF, then print reduced size.

Once you get started, fell free to come back with specific questions.

Good Luck!

Christopher Stevens
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report