Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil3d 2019 - Block Insert dialogue no longer previews blocks

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
camptech
364 Views, 7 Replies

Civil3d 2019 - Block Insert dialogue no longer previews blocks

Civil3d 2019

When inserting blocks via the 'insert' command, blocks to be inserted no longer are being previewed in the Insert dialogue:

Inserting blocks - no preview (annotated).png

This *was* working just an hour ago, but now it's not.  What a PITA.  I used to be able to type 'insert' then scroll through the various tree blocks with the keyboard up and down keys, but no longer.  I suspect a scale issue possibly caused by a mouse scroll wheel?  Or could this be a CUI issue?

Seems to occur with Explode both checked and unchecked.

Just wasted half an hour figuring out that inserting a block and snapping to a COGO point node with OSNAPZ set to 0 roughly scaled the symbol to the Z value of the COGO point... no matter that I had specified 'Specify on Screen'.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Pointdump
in reply to: camptech

Hi Stephen,
I don't have 2019 to check. In 2022 this is what I see when I use INSERT.
Dave

Blocks_1.png

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 8
ChicagoLooper

Looks like your dwg can't find (or refer to) the block definition. Did you, or someone else, delete the block? Was there a change to the block's name? You'll need to reestablish the block definition. Copy the block from a 'good' drawing then paste it into the 'bad' drawing.

The new Block Palette @Pointdump alludes to is new to v2020. That new palette has 3 Tabs: Current Drawing, Recent, and Other Drawing. 

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 4 of 8
camptech
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

Ummmm.... I'm unsure this makes sense.  I can still insert the block just fine.  It is just that the Insert dialogue has stopped previewing ALL blocks.

Message 5 of 8
camptech
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

I am aware of what pointdump referred.   As I specifically stated I am using Civil3D 2019... it doesn't do me much good.

However, you may be on to something.  I just opened a new drawing... and the new drawing Insert command *does* preview all the blocks as one would expect.  So... I don't have any clue what happened to this one drawing.  I've run audit at least once... but it still will not previous *any* blocks in the Insert dialogue, though it will insert them.

I am flummoxed.

Message 6 of 8
TerryDotson

Command: BLOCKICON
Enter block names <*>:

Message 7 of 8
camptech
in reply to: TerryDotson

The drawing in question was a topo covering two adjacent lots.

After performing a Save As to a new drawing name for the adjoining lot... the program decides to no longer exhibit this behavior (refusing to show previews of blocks in the Insert dialogue) for either the new or old drawing.  Go figure.

That said, I just ran the BLOCKICON command, and at the pompt entered *<enter>  (i.e. typed the asterisk character and hit <return>) and I could see it re-generating icons for all blocks in the drawing.

Thank you for this reply.

Message 8 of 8
camptech

Summary:  if this happens to you... double check if Layer 0 is turned off or frozen.

Details:

As a followup... I just experienced this issue again -- blocks would not preview in the Insert dialogue.  But... different drawing, and Civil3D / computer has been restarted a few times since the last time this happened.

I was attempting to insert tree blocks and had isolated only a few layers to clear the display of clutter.  The ding-ding-ding of that bell was ringing softly above my head, and the lightbulb snapped on... I checked my layers, and sure enough, layer 0 was off.  I turned layer 0 back on, then re-tried the insert, and all the block icons were correctly previewed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report