Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D vs. AutoCAD

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
oholteyE3GGM
12806 Views, 7 Replies

Civil 3D vs. AutoCAD

I have workeds with Civil 3D or some version of it (Land Desktop) for over 10 years but I always just called it AutoCAD.  

Now I am with a new employer that has only been using AutoCAD and now see the difference.  We are looking to Upgrade to Civil 3D and are being told we need to get the AEC package if we want to upgrade to multi-user.  The AEC package contains AutoCAD.  That is where the confusion begins.  Why would I need AutoCAD if I have Civil 3D?  Using only AutoCAD for a few months now it seems it is just a trimmed down version of C3D.  Are there functions in AutoCAD that aren't available in C3D?   Do any of the other products in the AEC package have any value to a Civil Engineering?

AEC also contains:

Revit

Navisworks Manage

Infraworks 

and 3ds Max

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
jeff_rivers
in reply to: oholteyE3GGM

You're looking at it backwards.  AutoCAD is the core program, and Civil 3D, Map, and Raster are code that runs on top of it.  You need AutoCAD first in order to run the latter three.  

Jeffrey Rivers
Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel i9 3.7GHz, 64 GB
NVIDIA RTX A4000
C3D 2020 V13.2.89.0
Message 3 of 8
Neilw_05

Look at the product features for Civil 3D on the ADESK website. https://www.autodesk.com/products/civil-3d/overview

Civil 3D provides enhancements to Autocad to facilitate common civil engineering tasks such and creating alignments, profiles, road models, pipe networks and more.

If you have been doing that kind of work in plain Autocad you can increase your efficiency many-fold by using Civil 3D.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 4 of 8
ChrisRS

@jeff_rivers is correct.

All of the programs you mention can be useful with Civil 3D.

In addition vehicle tracking is good for parking lots and is only available as a part of the AEC Collection.

Raster design may be useful as well.

Home if you want to work with point clouds, you will need to use Recap, because Autodesk has removed point cloud capabilities form Civil 3D.

***  Begin Rant  ***

In my opinion, it is not prudent to for Civil 3D (C3D) users ignore Infraworks (WIX). Autodesk markets IWX as a planning tool good for about 30% design. A couple of years ago, an Autodesker told me it is not Civil 3D or Infraworks; it is Civil 3D and Infraworks. Autodesk appears to be investing heavily in IWK. C3D … … Not so much. My observations over the past few years lead me to believe that Autodesk's vision is Infraworks and Civil 3D

Be defensive when considering Autodesk's offerings.

I will be switching from Civl 3D to the AEC Collection when my maintenace is up for renewal.

(If you are on a current maintainence plan look into the "switch" program. I do not know if it allows cross grading. It is complicated. Check with Autosesk and a reseller. If the answers do not match, check some more.)

I do not know how many seats of Civil 3D you are considering, but I suggest including at least one seat of AEC collection in the mix. You might want some seats of palin Aucad. The AEC Collection is licensed by user. If user A is assigned AEC he can use C3D and IWX and …; User B, who is assigned C3D can not use IWX, even if user A is not currently using it. It is complicated.

***  End Rant  ***

You asked why you would need AutoCAD if you had C3D. You do not need AutoCAD, but there may be times you want ot use it. C3D files carry specific C3D information not in plain DWG files, and thus are larger. In addition, when opened in programs other than C3D, object enablers will be required.

Blocks and details can be created in AutoCAD because they do not use C3D capabilities.

Similarly Cover sheets and note sheets can be created in AutoCAD, by non C3d drafters.

Christopher Stevens
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
Kevin.Spear
in reply to: jeff_rivers

While true, Civil 3D as a package includes the core autocad. And therein lies the confusion.

Additionally, new seats of autocad now include additional "vertical" toolsets for architecture, MEP, etc.

If you need civil engineering tools, then Civil 3D is the choice. If you need vehicle swept path, then you need vehicle tracking. If you need both, then you would get the AEC collection.

Clear as mud? 🙂

Thanks
Kevin

Kevin Spear, PE
Message 6 of 8
ChrisRS
in reply to: Kevin.Spear

@Kevin.Spear wrote:
While true, Civil 3D as a package includes the core autocad. … …

I agree that the Civil 3D PROGAM, includes the core AutoCAD functionality. As I understand it, the current Civil 3D subscription offering includes only Civil 3D, not stand alone AutoCAD. As I stated in my previous post, there may be times that AutoCAD is preferable to Civil 3D.

If you need civil engineering tools, then Civil 3D is the choice. If you need vehicle swept path, then you need vehicle tracking. If you need both, then you would get the AEC collection.

I would add Infraworks and Raster Design to the "if you need both list."

Recap Pro,  Revit, Navisworks Manage and 3DS Max might make the list as well.

$1,575   AutoCAD

$2,155   Civil 3d

$2,755   AEC Collection

$1,610   Infra Works

$2,250   Revit

$1,505   3dS Max

$  305   Recap Pro

Raster Design - only available with AutoCAD or AEC Collection

Vehicle Tracking - only available with AutoCAD or AEC Collection

I do not mean to suggest that the value of the Civil 3D is the sum of these prices.

I am just pointing out the reality that AEC is less expensive that C3D plus almost any add on.

The addons could be subscribes to on a short term basis, rather that annually.

Study your options, then choose well. A mix of products may be best. Ignore Infraworks at your peril.

Clear as mud? 🙂

Absolutely!  (I'm afraid that I may have made it even less clear.)

Christopher Stevens
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
AllenJessup

It's a slight change. Before you would "Open Civil 3D as AutoCAD". Now you can just open AutoCAD. I don't use it often. But It's convenient if you just have to do some quick editing of or inspect an entity that isn't from Civil 3D. The drawing will open much faster in plain AutoCAD.

Unfortunately you are now in a time where you can only subscribe to a collection.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
oholteyE3GGM
in reply to: ChrisRS

Thanks Guys,

We just learned the Autodesk has quite a racket going.

We may need to used Auto-Turn a couple of times a year but mostly C3D is all we would really need.  The prices noted are correct however we have also been quoted that in order to have a multi-user license we have to have the AEC ($2755) and then to upgrade to the multi-user it is an additional $1000.  So our 1 license of AutoCAD ($1575) or one shared license of C3D with a bunch of products we will never use for $3855.  We could get 1 AutoCAD and 1 C3D for $3730 but there are 3 of us.  I'm the only one that with significant experience on C3D.

Good Times...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report