Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3d 2017 metric comes in feet

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
Yonas89
2665 Views, 18 Replies

Civil 3d 2017 metric comes in feet

Spoiler

Hello,

I have installed Civil 3d 2017 metric version and I have noticed that all the settings are still in feet. Moreover I found that no default metric or even imperial templates is found where it used to be in previous versions (image below). Has anyone faced this trouble before?

2016-10-07_11-24-08.jpg

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
Pointdump
in reply to: Yonas89

Jonas,

In Start >> All Programs >> Autodesk >> Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D do you have both Metric and Imperials Icons?

Start.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 19
Yonas89
in reply to: Pointdump

Hey,

no I only have the metric one, as before installation I have unchecked the Civil 3d imperial

Message 4 of 19
Pointdump

Jonas,

"I only have the metric one, as before installation I have unchecked the Civil 3d imperial"

I didn't know you could do a "partial" install of C3D like that. Can you post a Screen Shot of what your Start Menu looks like? And how about when you click on the Big A >> New >> Drawing, does a selection of Templates show up?

New.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 5 of 19
Yonas89
in reply to: Pointdump

Sure.

2016-10-07_13-52-44.jpg

2016-10-07_13-56-39.jpg

Message 6 of 19
MikeEvansUK

Deleted Duplicate Post..

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 7 of 19
MikeEvansUK

I do the same all the time, I don't understand "old money".. The shortcut just tells the application to use "C3D_Metric" profile. If this does not exist you need to reset / reinstall.

Otherwise You could try:

Rename (in case you need to recover anything) the C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\C3D 20xx & C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Local\Autodesk\C3D 2016\enu\ folders then perform a reset: 

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-civil-3d/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticl...

Restart via the metric shortcut and the program should re copy all the default files back again, once running if the program is using the correct settings via the shortcut then you will know as the tool pallets will be labelled "Civil3d Metric sub assemblies". If this is not the case then you are using an Imperial template version. if you do not see the metric templates try reinstalling the country kit.

The unit settings you speak of are related to the drawing settings, it is possible to use two drawings with different settings in the same session as controlled via the template settings.

On the other hand if the problem is purely that the templates have not been copied then you can manually get to them from the system. I cant see them here but usually do a windows search for the files to locate them.

M

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 8 of 19
AllenJessup

You should have a path similar to this: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2017\C3D\UserDataCache\Template\

You should find templates there. Also: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2017\UserDataCache\en-us\Template\

In Options you can set the default folder for templates and the default for new drawing creation using QNew.

opt.PNG

We have ours on our server so the paths don't match the OOTB configuration.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 19
Yonas89
in reply to: AllenJessup

Allen,

thank you Allen, the templates are there. Howerer is it possible to explain why metric version starts on imperial template in my case?

Message 10 of 19
AllenJessup

How do you normally start Civil 3D.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 11 of 19
Yonas89

I usually use my template which is metric, but I have just installed civil 3d on my personal laptop and I have installed only metric version. I double clicked on shortcut to start it and I found out that all styles, units and labels are in feet. That's it. I suppose the shortcut of Civil 3d metric should bring all settings in metric system by default.

Message 12 of 19
AllenJessup

By "Shortcut" you mean the Icon in the Start Menu? That should point to the OOTB <<C3D_Metric>> profile. That profile should set "QnewTemplate" to the _autocad civil 3d (metric) ncs.dwt in the Template folder.

Right Click on the Icon and select properties to check that it includes /p "<<C3D_Metric>>". Start a drawing and make sure that the default <<C3D_Metric>> profile exists.

BTW: You can change that to use your own template by replacing the name: /p "C3D 2017 1.0" . Make sure that the template exists in the path set in options.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 13 of 19
Yonas89

I captured the properties: for me everything looks good. Target says metric, and in user data cache folder I see 2 default templates. One is metric and one is imperial. I have even deleted  the imperial one and started civil 3d again and I get the same problem.

Capture.JPG

Message 14 of 19
AllenJessup

Before we delve into the profile. What happens if you double click the DWT in Explorer? Also. Can you please post a scree shot of your Drawing Settings showing the problem.

set1.PNG

set2.PNG

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 15 of 19
Yonas89

I will post that tomorrow. I forgot to borrow the licence. But I think that if  I load the template everything will be ok. And the settings are the same as you have posted: everything is in foot.  I have also noticed that only standard styles for civil objects exist when I open. Don't know how to explain better. I will try to record my screen tomorrow and share with you guys. It's not big problem as I can open metric template but I am very curious why such a thing happens, because I have civil 3d 2016 also installed and it works fine.

Message 16 of 19
AllenJessup

Here are a couple of OOTB Metric DWT files. See if you get better results with these.

If you only get the "Standard" Styles it means that somehow you are opening without a Template.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 17 of 19
Yonas89

Yes. I don't know if it's something because of installation or something else but I know that it's not as it suppose to be. As I have shared the photo in my first post I know that there should be 2 default templates under C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\Autodesk\C3D 2017\enu\Template folder, but the folder does not contain these two dwt files:  " _AutoCAD Civil 3D (Metric) NCS.dwt" and _AutoCAD Civil 3D (Imperial) NCS.dwt. It's empty there.

Message 18 of 19
AllenJessup

You now have the 2 files to put there. Or put them somewhere else and change the path. It may be they simply got left out during the installation.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 19 of 19
Yonas89

This was actually the case. I had  to place these files there. Also itr might be interesting, that by default file path for  QNEW command was = none.

I think this explains why my drawing only had standard styles. As you mentioned before, it couldn't find a template. I have entered the path for qnew command and everything looks to be working ok while starting. Thank you all very much for the help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report