Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C3D2018- Problems with inside corners on curb corridor made from feature lines

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
dslocum
1411 Views, 8 Replies

C3D2018- Problems with inside corners on curb corridor made from feature lines

See attached photo of inside corners of curb and gutter. I'm using Civil3D2018 and I created a corridor using a feature line as the baseline. My corners that are made of straight line segments that are 90-degrees have nice miters and work well, but the corners shown in the attached photo aren't 90-degrees and I have arcs joining straight segments. As you can see, I have an issue. I've tried to manually add a station to my frequency settings but it still doesn't miter the corners like it should. Any ideas?

Capture.JPG

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
ChrisRS
in reply to: dslocum

@dslocum, I am not an expert, but I do have some questions.

Is your feature line along the back of curb or the lip of gutter?

Since you say this is an inside corner issue, I assume that it is along the back of curb. If that is so, this looks like a case where automatic clean up should work. Are you sure that "Automatic Clear Bowtie Option - At Tangent-arc and Arc-Tangent Intersections" value is Yes? If you have tried to manually clear the bow ties, I am out of ideas. It looks like you have set this up so Civil 3d can resolve it. 

I think this is one of those Civil 3D thing that just does not work  correctly. The genesis of corridors was high speed highways with gentle curves and no bowtie issues. In the last couple of years, Civil 3D has made some progress in tweaking corridors so they can be used for non-highway design. Hopefully, that progress will continue. With Autodesk targeting State DOTs as major new costumers, we are asking that Autodesk put limited development effort/dollars in two different directions. We will see how it goes. 

Christopher Stevens
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
dslocum
in reply to: ChrisRS

My feature line is along the back of curb. It sounds like your on to something, but I don't know where to set the "Automatic Clear Bowtie Option - At Tangent-arc and Arc-Tangent Intersections" value. Where do I find that?

Message 4 of 9
cwr-pae

I've had this on other 90 degree bends on corridors with out curbs. Try splitting the region at the corner. Unfortunately the older curb subs don't allow targets. It may work with one of the new 2018.2 curb pkt that has targeting links. Find one and draw a pline or fl to bisect the corner and create 2 regions (before and after the corner), then target the pl/fl with the edge of the gutter, it should corrects this.

Message 5 of 9
ChrisRS

@dslocum, in response to : "Where do I find it?"

TOOLSPACE, SETTINGS tab, right click, select "Edit Feature settings ..."

The image below is from a video in the 2018 Civil 3D help file: About Corner Cleanup for Corridors. (You will have to search Help; I can not just paste a link.)

This is actually a pretty useful help topic. It discusses automatic and manual corner cleanup. I normally do not consider the help system to be very useful, so I was pleasantly surprised.

@cwr-pae is getting into work arounds. Adding a small (0.001 ft) fillet at the corner may help. I am not sure about the newer PKT subassemblies. I do now that the automatic clean up only works with fixed width assemblies. From my testing attaching a daylight or vertical target disables automatic clean up. I may not understand "fixed width." When I use daylight or horizontal targets I can not get manual clean up to work. As I said, I am not an expert at corridors. You may have better luck.

You may want to check with support from Autodesk or your dealer. My experience over many years has generally not been positive; again you may have better luck.

Best Regards

Chris

Corridor clean up.PNG

Christopher Stevens
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
Eric_Chappell
in reply to: ChrisRS

Not sure if this helps, but this can also be done "manually" as Jeff Bartels shows in his video: https://youtu.be/pAlq8QYYtdY

Eric Chappell
Message 7 of 9
ChrisRS
in reply to: Eric_Chappell

@Eric_Chappell, yes. I mentioned manual cleanup, but that video link is very useful. @dslocum did not post a drawing so I cannot check, but I have found that manual clean up often does not work.

Christopher Stevens

EESignature

Message 8 of 9
dslocum
in reply to: Eric_Chappell

Manual clean up worked in every instance in my drawing. Thanks everyone for your input!

Message 9 of 9
ChrisRS

Glad to hear that manual cleanup worked!

Christopher Stevens

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report