Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alignment Labels Need to Be Able to Reference Different Parts of Itself

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Cadguru42
345 Views, 4 Replies

Alignment Labels Need to Be Able to Reference Different Parts of Itself

Currently, it is impossible to make a label for a spiral-curve-spiral that references both the spiral data as well as the curve data. This has been possible in Microstation for over a decade, yet Civil 3D cannot do it. See http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-general/curve-and-spiral-label-expression-question/m-... for more information.

The desired label should look like the following:

PI 123+94.79
N 749,023.1531
E 3,026,736.1132
Δ 53° 55' 25" (RT)
Δc 41° 55' 25" (RT)
D 4° 00' 00"
R 1,432.39
Lc 1,048.09
Ts 879.91
Ls 300.00
Ɵs 6° 00' 00"
K 149.95'

C3D 2022-2025
Windows 11
32GB RAM
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
gchakri
in reply to: Cadguru42

Hi,

This label has long been possible using "Tangent Intersection Labels" as mentioned by user Abdallah in the other thread. Is any specific property field missing in it? Through that lable you can add in one label Sprial in Data, Curvey Data, Spiral Out data as well as SCS total deflection etc... You can choose variety of fields. If your spiral in and spiral out have same parameters, then you can choose a label style to meet needs.

Can you explore that label please?

~Thanks

Chakri [Autodesk]

Chakri.G

Senior Product Manager

Message 3 of 5
Cadguru42

@gchakri

Interesting. You might want to let support know about this as well considering I've had them tell me it wasn't possible. It's a strange label name, considering it's labeling the curves, not a tangent, and not calling it a PI label. 

C3D 2022-2025
Windows 11
32GB RAM
Message 4 of 5
Cadguru42

Well, the Tangent Intersection label is missing the Degree of Curvature by Arc data from the curve. I tried making my own expression to do it, which should be simple. The formula is Da=36,000/2*pi*Curve Radius. Sounds simple enough, but if I make the expression format as angle it doesn't work correctly. After spending 2 hours trying to get this to work, I found out that internally the expression editor is converting the value to Radians when using the Angle format. When the label is set to display as DMS, it shows incorrectly. If the label is shown as Radians, it displays the result as decimal degrees. In the expression I had to make the formula (36000/(2*pi*{Curve Radius}))/(180/pi) (Or 100/{Curve Radius}) to convert the answer to degrees. The Drawing Settings>Ambient Settings>Angle is set to Degrees, so this is either a bug or the Expression Editor needs more information that when dealing with Angles the value results are in Radians. 

The theta angle of the spiral is also not available. I had to make an expression of ({Spiral 1 Length}*Da)/200 in order to get it.

The Tangent Intersection label is also missing the total tangent length. I had to make an expression of ({Curve Radius}+{Spiral 1 P})*TAN({Delta Angle}/2)+{Spiral 1 K} in order to get it.

Not sure why the Tangent Intersection label doesn't have these properties when the individual parts do have them. 

C3D 2022-2025
Windows 11
32GB RAM
Message 5 of 5

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report