Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2021 performance problem

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
robert06
938 Views, 9 Replies

2021 performance problem

After switching to C3D 2021 it seems that it uses RAM or video card memory differently than 2020.
Using i79750H processor and NVIDIA Quadro T1000. Upgrading memory from 16 GB to 32 slightly helped, but still the issue remains.
Specially with large drawings the rolling cursor symbol appears and system is slow but this also appears with empty or small drawings sometimes and while browsing in toolspace.
Switching hardware acceleration on / off and vice versa helps with some drawings, but this seems to have an affect differently with different files.
Saw a topic where it was recommended to switch to master view in toolspace, this once helped, but not anymore, can't find the page anymore.
The computer should be efficient enough not to encounter such issues.

Tags (1)
Labels (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
walterlewinski
in reply to: robert06

I've been having the same problems. Sometimes I have to reboot the computer to get it to work correctly, I'm thinking of going back to C3D 2020 if I continue with the problems.

Thank you,
Walter

IDSP Premium 2016
Win 7 Pro x64, 256Gb SSD, 4Tb HDD
16Gb Ram Intel i7-5930K @ 3.50GHz
3-NVIDIA GTX 970 4Gb (12Gb) Triple Monitors
Message 3 of 10
tcorey

Empty the system temporary folder.  In Windows Explorer location bar type: %temp% and hit enter. Delete everything there that will delete. Skip items that won't delete. 

Unpin Documents, Pictures, and Downloads folders from Quick Access in Windows Explorer.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 4 of 10
robert06
in reply to: tcorey

Emptying temp folder did not help.

What works is:
1) Set prospector tab active in Toolspace

2) Set Master view active in Toolspace

Now, when switching back to Active Drawing view the issue is solved for undetermined while.

Let's hope the bug is noticed by the moderadors here.

Message 5 of 10
robert06

reporting an issue @lim.wendy 

thank you!

Message 6 of 10
tcorey

That's a simple solution to a huge annoyance.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 7 of 10
AllenJessup

One thing that has helped in the past is to make sure you have a paging file that's larger than your RAM and that has an i\Initial size and Maximum size that are equal. I don't think this matters as much with SSD's. But it always helped with mechanical drive.

AllenJessup_0-1603978048169.png

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 10
Neilw_05

I don't have 2021 installed so I can't check this, but I would look at the Windows task manager and see how the resources compare when you open the file in 2020 vs. 2021 just to see if there is a difference in how the application is performing.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 9 of 10
lim.wendy

Hi @robert06,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I'll share this post with the product team. 

Meanwhile, try updating the bios on your laptop/pc, I remember this was the recommendation by @ceethreedee.com and it helps. 

Wendy Lim

Data Nerd | Community Advocate | AEC Industry

facebook twitter twitter blogs pm

Join the new online Rail Community

Rails Summit

Message 10 of 10
scaldwell73

I had some issues a while back and it came down to having the Insert Block Palette open. I guess it was scanning the drawings I had open for what blocks they had and it was a horrid experience. Felt like I had set my SNAP on with a grid spacing of 5' or something. As soon as I closed the palette, it straightened right up.

Shawn Caldwell
Gay & Neel, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report